Favourite current ad blocker

This special offer on StackSocial?

They seem to offer that a lot…

But it looks like a good deal (that I took advantage of back when AdGuard no longer updated their Pro iOS App due to stricter App Store rules).

I honestly can’t remember. It might very well be. :sweat_smile:

Also, have a look at 1.1.1.1 and their DNS service. It closes another leak of your data used for tracking and ad targeting.

Unfortunately, by default, DNS is usually slow and insecure. Your ISP, and anyone else listening in on the Internet, can see every site you visit and every app you use — even if their content is encrypted. Creepily, some DNS providers sell data about your Internet activity or use it to target you with ads.

We think that’s gross. If you do too, now there’s an alternative: 1.1.1.1

https://1.0.0.1/dns/

1 Like

I decided to try Adguard adguard.com for the next year. There was a Halloween 40% off code I was able to use.

I did have a small confusion over the licence - I installed on my iPhone first, and all good, when I went to install on my Mac I had a small panic that the licence was mobile only, thankfully I was simply confused. My account listed “AdGuard personal” as my licence type, and offered to sell me more licences titled simply “AdGuard”. The actual difference is that AdGuard personal = 3 licences, and Adguard family = 9 licences, not that AdGuard personal = mobile only and AdGuard (with no qualifier) = desktop.

In my first day or so of use it’s working fine. I’ll try to have a more full review later.

I bought 1blocker lifetime plan and I have been using that ever since. No ad blocker will work perfectly every time and/or for your use case.

However, 1blocker works well enough and I do not look elsewhere.

1 Like

I really only use 5 bookmarks with any regularity, and all of those are also two keystrokes away in address auto completion.
I don’t use the web for reference material, other than googling LaTeX syntax or the like.
The bookmarks I save are in Brave, Notion, or Drafts, with very few added to TheBrain. I switch from one to the next when I feel like I’m getting a lot of cruft in one.
But again, I never use them. Collector’s Fallacy, I suppose.

2 Likes

By the way, thank you for pointing Brave out again. I have switched everywhere and I’m very happy with the choice so far, I’m 90% sure I will stay with it. Getting Chrome’s ecosystem of extensions and compatibility as well as Qwant integration (which is miles better than DuckDuckGo) is extremely nice. I wish I did not contribute to Chromium’s monopoly but having something reliable and powerful is very enjoyable.

3 Likes

As a result of this thread, I switched to Firefox, and am making use of Tree Style Tabs. Comes in handy when you have a dozen or more tabs open.

I may end up going back to Safari, if the extensions ecosystem blooms, now that the browser has gone to a new, more extension-friendly architecture.

2 Likes

Gas Mask won’t run on Catalina :slightly_frowning_face:

Great Firefox privacy settings: https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/

I just want to add my 2 cents on what has been mentioned here - pi-hole. I have tried many ad blockers (1blocker included, and was my fave), until I took one of my unused Raspberry pi and turned it into a pi-hole. It works (for me) so much better, as it blocks ALL ad traffic, even in apps. So I’d you have an app like Speedtest, the apps (served from an external site) are blocked, as well as most apps I Apple News, etc, etc. Not hard to set up, at all (on my eero network it just required going into the advanced settings and making a few changes), but hey, we are POWER USERS here, right?

Just my 2 cents… your mileage may vary…

1 Like

@JohnAtl what version are you on? I have Gas Mask 0.8.6 running fine in Catalina

Edit: Installed it from its GitHub repository?

Yeah, just downloaded 0.8.6 from github, just to be sure.

Okay, it says it needs to be updated and can’t be opened, but it does. :roll_eyes:
It’s working now. Thanks for the followup!

1 Like