February 2022 Software of the Month — Typinator

The “pocket calculator” feature is useful. Invoke the Quick Search window and enter a formula. Typinator offers to paste the result using different formats:

The pocket calculator will do trig calculations, logical, hex, and others. (See the manual.)

These can be mixed – e.g., hex and logical:

1 Like

The feature page mentions Dropbox sync, but I can’t see this - I assume that’s simply a case of using the publishing option and publish to a synced folder?

The manual discusses putting expansion sets in Dropbox to synchronize the sets among multiple computers you control.

There is also a feature to “publish” expansion sets in a special format, so that others can access those sets – you could put these published sets into a shared Dropbox folder or publish them in a different cloud service or website.

I found the FAQ with the answers in after posting - basically changing the location of the sets storage.

Has anyone had issues with Obsidian? I tried to replicate one of my KM tasks which is to insert the date in bold and then add two returns under it. Item worked fine in Textedit, but not in Obsidian. I had to use the following in Typinator to get it to work, rather than just typing in and adding the cursor placement field.

**{YYYY}-{MM}-{DD}**{return}{return}{return}{key:2*⇡}

Overall, it’s been good so far - I’ve got all my KM scripts that are used for text replacement brought across, and the search function is great. I’ve added extra items to it as well because of the search function and hadn’t considered it worth adding to KM (but probably should have done), such as regularly used URL’s.

I use Typinator expansions with line feeds extensively in Obsidian. No problems at all. Much more features than the template plugins for Obsidian.

Make sure the expansions are set to plain text mode in Typinator and that live preview is configured correctly in Obsidian.

Am definitely set to plain text and live preview is off - it’s using the classic view.

This one is working now, but I’ll try again in the future. Not sure if the cursor position was throwing it off, as I wanted to created some additional lines for spacing and then go back to below the title for editing.
Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 14.50.56

I personally like TypeIt4Me. It has everything I need, simple and easy to use, and it is a low price. I have not compared to Typinator but have compared to TextExpander. TypeIt4Me: Try the original text expander for Mac for free. Buy it for $19.99.

So I’ve purchased this and have had no issues.

One of the perks I found last night was that because it types, it doesn’t affect the clipboard, whereas post of my KM scripts pasted the values in, rather than typed, because it was quicker.

This make Typinator more robust as well I reckon, and able to be used where copy and paste isn’t permitted (some web forms).

2 Likes

Note that Keyboard Maestro also has the text-action: “insert text by typing

(I am a happy Typinator-user myself by the way :slight_smile: )

1 Like

It does indeed, but I found it to be far less robust and slower than the paste option, and often causing issues - sometimes restricted to certain websites like Outlook, but Typinator hasn’t got that same problem. Not entirely sure why but that’s my experience.

2 Likes

I was into TextExpander and enjoyed that software a lot. It just worked, and making various expansions was great. I avoid subscriptions, but I was willing to have one for TextExpander. Then it stopped working well. It would not connect to my account and just stopped working for no reason. I checked my Internet each time (I am lucky to have excellent fibre Internet), and I could see no good reason for it. I do not want software that depends on an always-on Internet for those times when I have limited or no access, either. It happened many times over many days. In the end, I binned it since it was the opposite of productive. I bought Typinator and imported my shortcuts. I had to rework quite a few, but after a short reading of the help manual, I repaired the broken ones. So far, it has not let me down. It does not look as polished as TextExpander, but it works very well. There is no chance that I will go back to TextExpander, who seem to have lost their way and certainly seem to have lost their focus on the consumer. I may be wrong, but that is my impression.

5 Likes

Typinator is now available for $8,99 ($3,99 for the App and $5 to unlock the bundle) as part of Bundlehunt’s Award-Winning Mac Bundle.

Since development for the App I am using seems to have stopped, I’m considering purchasing Typinator.

(maybe after rereading this topic…)

3 Likes

When you buy Bundlehunt’s bundle, do you get a “regular” version and unlock code or is it somehow tied to a Bundlehunt app long-term? Is there a limitation to the duration of the license compared with buying it from the developer?

Surely at those prices there has to be a catch somehow.

1 Like

You usually get keys / serial numbers and can download regular installers from the official sites.

3 Likes

In the days when I bought bundles, I never ran into a catch. The developers go into these bundles with eyes open and agree to the discounts offered. It’s just another outlet.

1 Like

I am thinking about buying Typinator through bundlehunt. I’ve bought software through bundlehunt and have never had a problem.

@JohnAtl Check out bundlehunt - typinator and popchar are on sale

To add to that, I have bought many apps from Bundlehunt.com and never have any issue. However, I would suggest to stick with bundlehunt.com as there are many resellers advertising similar offers and it is hard to check their authenticity

1 Like

I have both TextExpander and Typinator installed now and I am comparing them.

Fortunately you can import/export expansions from one to the other and they can co-exist on the same computer. So there is no critical reason to select only one.

Much of the differences are just subjective related to which interface you like. But so far I can find one killer item that is only present in each app:

TextExpander syncs between Mac and iOS and even Windows, whereas Typinator is Mac only. If this is important to you then the decision is made.

Typinator on the other hand has “magic keys” - this lets you use shift, control, option, and command as if they were actual symbols or letters. That means you can create expansion triggers with Typinator which are not possible with TextExpander and could/would never be accidentally triggered in normal typing.

Are there any other “gotcha” or “killer” features others can suggest that are only in one app and not the other?

1 Like

The killer feature for me? I paid once for Typinator and it was less than what I’d have to pay annually for TextExpander. (I had a 30% off coupon, so it was around half TextExpander’s annual fee.)

As I only need it on my Mac, choosing Typinator was a no-brainer.

Of course, YMMV.