Finances Money Apps

I used Moneydance for a few years, then transitioned to MoneyWiz. The latest version is a very nice update. They have Mac, Windows, and iOS versions with sync capability.

And MoneyWiz is part of SetApp, so if you already subscribe, thereā€™s nothing to lose by checking it out other than a little time.

Has anyone used Money by Jumsoft?

I have used it. It works fine. Reporting is a bit limited and there is a bit too much white space for my liking.
I now use Pocketbook (Australian focussed) and Wavespps. Both are free and automatically link to your bank accounts, importing and categorising your transactions. Wavespps has the bonus of being full double entry accounting and you can also use it for your business, issuing quotes, invoices etc.

Donā€™t you feel Chris that it defeats the purpose of paying a rather high subscription fee? I mean, that really keeps me away from YNAB. The arrogance that a budgeting app takes a high subscription fee.

Can you elaborate on that?

I disagree. The point being is that your then able to budget for it monthly. That allows more frequent updates to come out plus they host tons of classes too!

Alright I get that. But they donā€™t support many banks outside of the US or Canada. Denmark certainly not, so I would have to do everything manually, which I donā€™t want to.

Banktivity supports Danish banks, but not my bank, so Iā€™m not really sure what to go with here.

I basically just want to set up a good budget that I will be able to stick with. I think the best way would be to use an app that has integration with my Bank.

So either I change banks to one that Banktivity supports or I use the danish Spiir website

Are you familiar with Dave Ramsey? I read one of his books some years ago and found I agree with much of his teaching. (Coincidentally, I used to know someone who now works for Ramsey)

He has an website (& app) that is free for basic budgeting. The site states it currently works with ā€œ10,000ā€ banks but they only list their Top 20.

Thought it might be worth a look.

2 Likes

@andreasl - what do you mean when you say ā€œdonā€™t support many banks outside of the US or Canada?ā€

YNAB provides File Based Import for cases like you might be describing. https://docs.youneedabudget.com/article/173-file-based-import

1 Like

One of my banks (which has both Canadian and US-based sides, and I used both) was not supported by YNABā€™s auto import, but I just had an OmniFocus action set every couple days to import my transactions, and it took about 5 minutes to do. It really wasnā€™t the end of the world, as long as your bank allows you to download account transactions as QFX or OFX format.

as for the subscription cost, sure itā€™s a thing that exists. But letā€™s be honest here, theyā€™re providing a service, and one that is ostensibly secure and not based on selling your data. They need to make money somehow. If you donā€™t have the money to spare, then thatā€™s unfortunate and youā€™ve probably got bigger fish to try.

However, I should say that a year into budgeting (with YNAB) has absolutely changed our lives. We have never felt so at ease about our finances, felt so secure or confident in our purchases, or been so consistent on saving. In our budget we have savings goal for our YNAB subscription and so we set aside $10ā€¦50/mo so that by the time our subscription renews, weā€™ve already got the money set aside and ready to roll. (We also do this for vehicle insurance and registration, amazon prime, back blaze, 1Password, vaccines for our cats, etc).

If youā€™d rather they give their product away for free and sell your data to third parties like other companies do, then you should probably just use those other companyā€™s products and be glad that there are diverse business models to serve people with different priorities!

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I canā€™t use the import feature because I am iPad only. So I would have to add any and all transactions manually. That might give me more awareness on my spending but itā€™s also an extra hurdle.

I think Iā€™m gonna go with YNAB considering all the positive affirmation on here. I know thereā€™s a learning curve. And im only complaining about the subscription as I canā€™t benefit from all the features, like bank integration etc.
But I have never lived by a budget so I hope this will help me turn my financial situation to the better.

1 Like

Oh, then yes, that would be very tedious to doā€¦ Letā€™s up they support your bank eventually!

They wonā€™t. I have inquired. But I can still use the service, I just have to enter manually each time I spend money or do it monthly.

@andreasl as a Danish iOS user you can use the - free - Spiir app.
It integrates with your accounts and automatically updates in-/outgoing transactions, analyze usage patterns, and so on.

Been using it for years and itā€™s great for personal finance administration

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m currently using. But they donā€™t have an iPad app so I have to use web version on iPad which is also where the budget function is. Do you use their budget? They have stopped developing it.

IĀ“ve been using YNAB 4 for years (not really into subscriptions, so I skipped YNAB 5).

There seems to be a new app, with YNAB-like features for MacOS, iOS and Windows. ItĀ“s called Actual Budget (https://actualbudget.com/). IĀ“me considering checking it out, but since YNAB4 has been going well, havenĀ“t felt the need for it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just use the app on iPad as well, though it looks like cr** :joy:

I use their budget only for an overall view 'ish kind of thing.

Instead I use an integrated budget option in the Nordea home bank

1 Like

Looks like iPadOS (when released) will make Safari a desktop-class browser. This includes having a dedicated download manager. Could be a game changer!

Iā€™m a happy MoneyWiz user - great Mac, iPhone and iPad apps. I find the export/import feature very useful. I use this feature to export the data into more power analytical tools (e.g. Excel) to perform budget related tasks beyond whatā€™s offered in the app. When I was looking for a finance app, MoneyWiz was the only app with this feature. Wonder if this is still true?

1 Like