Firefox Dealbreakers

I am currently trying to go all-in on Safari, but I find Firefox on iOS to be more stable for some services I use. GMail keyboard commands and Mastodon basic web functionality comes to mind.

Guess I’ll always be a multi-browser user for practical reasons, and with Firefox being closest to my heart.

1 Like

I use FF as my primary browser, and also Brave, TOR Broswer, Chrome and Safari.

I too like the containers on FF, and also there are a large number of extensions that work on both Firefox and Chromium browsers, but not Safari.

Plus, I work with a PC and Android as well as Macs and iPad/iPhone. I found Safari tab-sycning very flaky a few OS ago, and have never been able to get it working reliably. With Firefox, it works as advertised, and cross-platform.

Combined with Bumpr on my Macs, and raindrop.io for my bookmarks, I can now get a consistent experience across all browsers and all platforms. 2FA codes aren’t usually a problem because I use 1Password, which fills it in for me. It won’t capture codes sent by SMS, but given that’s a risk in itself because of SIM-jacking, I only use it when a service has no alternative.

They say they do.

“Apple’s advertising platform does not track you, meaning that it does not link user or device data collected from our apps with user or device data collected from third parties for targeted advertising or advertising measurement purposes, and does not share user or device data with data brokers.”

1 Like

The bottom line, IMO, is that everybody tracks us. Apple, Amazon, our ISP, our phone provider, brick and mortar stores that we visit, an increasing number of local law enforcement departments, etc. (license plate readers). And most monetize that data in some way.

I’ve been able to find people (phone number and/or physical address) just using Google. Occasionally because they used the same avatar on multiple websites.

Apple knows/can know everything we do on our devices. And their privacy policy states they won’t share that information with third parties. But they will and do use it to target us with adds in their Stocks, News, and App Store apps. That’s the same thing Google does on their free apps. But like Apple, they don’t share our data with third parties.

“Three may keep a secret, if two are dead”. - Benjamin Franklin.

In today’s world we have few, if any, secrets. Our best hope is that our respective governments will pass laws to protect how our information is used.

1 Like

I don’t have Firefox dealbreakers as much as I have Safari dealbreakers. Safari does everything I need it to do except it’s missing uBlock Origin. Without that I won’t use it.

This class action will smash into a wall!
Unfortunately nobody is reading the rules represented by Apple every time an new Update is loaded, or a new device is activated.
Everybody consent into the way Apple collects, and uses our data.
Also it is a big problem, that people simply do not understand the function of e.g. “Do not track”, and then wonder, why Apple is still collect necessary data, while people are using their apps.

2 Likes

Maybe. Common sense doesn’t seem to apply in a lot of legal decisions. IMO.

Otherwise I totally agree.

Well, that’s just great as long as you can ignore our own government violating our privacy. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I don’t ignore it. I expect it along with death and taxes.

The US government, with assistance from major telecommunications carriers, has engaged in massive, illegal dragnet surveillance of the domestic communications and communications records of millions of ordinary Americans since at least 2001. Since this was first reported on by the press and discovered by the public in late 2005, The Electronic Frontier Foundation has been at the forefront of the effort to stop it and bring government surveillance programs back within the law and the Constitution.

There are many more recent and easily discoverable instances of this sort of government behavior. Tech companies may be enablers but our own government is the hand in the puppet.

No, that’s the truth. If we were to read and truly understand every ToS and EULA that’s being flashed in our faces, we would have time for little less. This has been the case for (at least) 35 years, probably longer.

The sole purpose of these “agreements” is to insulate the companies from any and all responsibility.

I’m coming across issues that I can’t seem to fix on my Mac.

• I can’t get videos to NOT autoplay. (I’m seeing this on ESPN at least)
  • When I try to share to Paprika, it doesn’t share it. Not only that, it creates a blank dialog box (like it’s trying to do something) and the only way to get rid of it is to restart my computer.

I have a feeling I’m not going to last more than a week with it being my main browser.

I don’t have the autoplay issue, but I can confirm this issue with Paprika. I guess I’ve never tried to share from Firefox for some reason. I don’t save a ton of recipes on my Mac. Mostly just from iOS. :confused:

From the reports in the media:

“Tommy Mysk and Talal Haj Bakry, two app developers and security researchers at the software company Mysk, took a look at the data collected by a number of Apple iPhone apps—the App Store, Apple Music, Apple TV, Books, and Stocks. They found the analytics control and other privacy settings had no obvious effect on Apple’s data collection—the tracking remained the same whether iPhone Analytics was switched on or off”

Not saying this is true, but I’m just not 100% sure Apple is using the Privacy Angle as more than a sales gimmick.

I don’t think Apple sees privacy as a sales “gimmick” but it is IMO, at the very least, a twofer. It’s a feature that they really believe in, as long as it doesn’t cost them any sales, and it is also a great marketing angle.

It seems the fact that Apple is an advertising company is a secret to a lot of people. It has been reported that Todd Teresi, VP Advertising Platforms has said he hopes to increase Apple’s current $4 billion in annual advertising revenue into double digits in the future.

And, according to “The Information”, Apple has been trying to develope a search engine to compete against Google. It is thought that the Siri/Spotlight team is the group working on this. Google currently pays Apple an estimated $12 Billion+ to be the default search engine on Safari. So replacing Google with an Apple search engine would have to be worth a lot more than that.

The way I read Apple’s Privacy Policy it seems they could use the data from our iPhones to display targeted advertisement to us on their own search engine without violating their current policies.

Apple Advertising & Privacy

I do think Apple have several features that limit tracking for other companies, but they conveniently exclude themselves from abiding by these settings. Much the same way that Google Chrome is using every trick they can come up with to track you in new and different ways than common ad-blockers protect against. As tracking cookies are slowly loosing their effectiveness, they are already on to the next thing that has yet to be legislated against.

It seems this information is valuable enough to keep playing endless cat-and-mouse games, regardless of the fact that most users really would prefer not to be tracked.

I like Firefox mainly because if the good security features and extensive plug in / extension possibilities.

Passwords are not an issue because I use a password manger.

Google’s (Alphabet) market cap reached $2 Trillion on 11/08/21. Today it is worth $1.15 Trillion. Apple was worth $3 trillion on Jan. 3, 2022 and it is currently worth $2.02 Trillion.

Our data is pure gold and would probably be a temptation for any publicly held corporation whose stockholders demand constant growth.

Apple can be great or it can be Google–but it can’t be both

1 Like

It looks like you left out the “L” in password mangler. :joy: :rofl:

1 Like