First sighting of an Apple Vision Pro in the wild. That was fast!

Of course :slightly_smiling_face: and for the record, I’ve implemented four 1:1 iPad programs in my schools, the first in the early 90s using Toshiba laptops. :slightly_smiling_face: I have also attended two Apple Executive Briefings at Apple headquarters (including the “space-ship” campus) related to leading technology changes in schools. I’d argue I was and am an education-technology pioneer. :slightly_smiling_face: Additionally, we have a robust computer science program and are adding AI courses and eSports. I’m writing a white paper on AI use for our school.

But, we also have “screen-free harbors” in the school–no phones in classes, the Café (lunch), in chapel, or during any fine arts performances. We have seen a marked improvement in students’ social skills and the school community as a result of limiting screen time and locations. And again, I’m focusing on wearing a VR headset in public or with family and close friends. I’m not arguing that screen time is intrinsically bad–if I were, I’d be hypocritical given the amount of time I spend in this forum (my guilty pleasure). :slightly_smiling_face:

I often say, “Technology has its place and must be kept in its place.” The Luddite does not give it sufficient space. Others give it far too much. :grinning:

3 Likes

I think it is much too early to make definitive conclusions about the impact of ubiquitous tech (smart phones, tablets etc.) and impossibly early to make conclusions about the AVP. Any conclusions that we can make, in time, will be heavily caveated. There are a lot of “it depends” in any area of human behaviour. You’d expect anything that might affect people to impact individuals differently depending on complex aspects of personality and the circumstances.

There is a very well documented tendency for any new technology, especially if it is related to interpersonal communication and which encourages changes in social norms, to provoke two reactions: optimistic and pessimistic with extreme version of both gaining cultural adherents. That’s been going on since at least the introduction of the printing press in the West. The impact of new technology or cultural change, is rarely as simple or extreme as people think it will be. Rock and Roll hasn’t yet led to the downfall of civilisation, nor have smartphones, but they aren’t a complete boon either.

1 Like

You are correct, I would not.

1 Like

The same was said of radio over books, TV over radio, ebooks over paper books, computer screens over everything that went before.

1 Like

Yes, and there is some truth in those assertions. I recommend for your reading pleasure “Amusing Ourselves to Death.” :slightly_smiling_face:

Read and love it; quote from it often. Postman’s “Informing Ourselves to Death” is equally challenging and prophetic.

1 Like

This is really neat — I like that idea!

1 Like

My gut agrees, I think. But also, we’ll see what the future holds on VR headsets that can connect to each other. As AVP stands now, I wouldn’t want to watch a movie with my wife with each of us wearing an AVP…for us it would remove some of the connectedness to each other for sure.

1 Like

I think we’re in far more agreement than disagreement. :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for engaging in such a thoughtful conversation. As I’ve said several times previously in other threads, this is the way the Internet ought to be. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now, off to overeat junk food, enjoy my homemade world-famous cheddar and cream cheese Italian sausage balls and to watch the Super Bowl!

3 Likes

On the other hand, my closest friend, who I’ve known for 45 years, lives almost 2000 miles away. We still talk daily, and message and FaceTime.

We’ve watched movies together using SharePlay, and I’d love to use the AVP. They don’t have an AVP yet, and there’s no SharePlay (but it’s impossible to believe they’re not trying to get that ready to ship), but it’s on file as a future experience to bring us closer together.

1 Like

Oh believe me, I can empathize. Due to my chosen career, I have friends and family spread across the globe on most continents. I rarely get a say where I live and can get moved at any time.

Hence why I’m partial to technology keeping me connected to those I care about.

1 Like