Focus- How are you using it?

I just did it… Took a couple of tries.

I’d use it a lot more if all apps were included in the ability to allow notifications.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but a lot of apps where I need notifications in certain contexts (calendar and mail, for example) just aren’t available.

With the Driving focus mode, I deleted the pre-supplied version and created my own, with its own homepage. The homepage has things like maps, Overcast, Audible and Apple Music so that I can start whatever I want before setting off.

Switching to a focus mode is an automation trigger so you can set it to run a Shortcut. In my Shortcut I:

• check if the phone is on charge and, if not, speak a reminder to plug the phone in (uses Toolbox Pro);

• check the calendar to see if there are any events in there and if there are, open the directions in Apple Maps;

• if there are no up/coming events with locations and I am not at home, open Apple Maps with a destination of home;

• start playback from Overcast.

Creating a new focus mode for driving does not allow the ability to automatically enter driving focus when motion is detected. The automatic enabling of the focus mode when connecting to CarPlay is also lost, but this can be re-added by creating an automation that triggers when connecting to CarPlay.

1 Like

No offense intended. I think Apple may offer a default “Driving” Focus that was limited in some way that I didn’t like, which is why I made my own and called it “Car”.

That’s fine, TJ.

:wink:“Car” because you are smarter than the average Bear!

1 Like

Hmm, maybe I’m just in the mentioned 1% of people who find the fine-grained controls useful. But I think Apple really got it right this time in allowing us to manually set different modes with different notification filters. I’ve seen people asking for this for a long time, even for things as simple as allowing one or two apps to bypass Do Not Disturb. And it’s not mandatory to set up multiple Focus Modes either.

What do you use focus mode for? So far I just use it while I’m driving.

Depending on what I’m doing, I switch between a few of them. For example, I like to keep my devices permanently on Do Not Disturb but still letting in apps like Calendar, Trello, etc. Some modes also allow certain messaging apps through or shutting down notifications for work things after hours, I have a mode for completely shutting down all notifications for when I’m screensharing, etc.

Here are my initial reactions from my initial foray into Focus modes.

Sleep: it made my watch unusable at night and my phone difficult to use. If I wake up and want to see what time it is or how long I have slept I don’t want to have to use my watch scroll wheel or enter passcodes, etc.

Driving: Even though I am behind the wheel of a nearly-seven-ton RV I often need to adjust something. Usually driving routes or a podcast or something I’m playing on YouTube Music. Some of this is made much easier by the CarPlay-compatible unit I installed in the dash. Google Maps, not so much. If I need to check tire pressure I have to use the phone. Adding a separate ‘are you driving’? prompt actually creates extra distraction.

Basically I find Focus mode too restrictive. I am sure it is possible to fine-tune this and make it work better, but I’m not sure the extra effort is worth it for me as a retired person. I have no ‘work/life’ separation issues.

One of my favorite uses of Focus is “Entertainment,” a custom focus I made which uses Shortcuts to dim the lights, wake my Apple TV, open an Apple TV app, and cut down notifications completely (I am in a group chat that lights up considerably right around the time that my wife and I sit down to watch TV). This focus also sets up a custom home screen with access to various Apple TV shortcuts, as well as an IMDB widget.

Loving having all this customization at my fingertips!

2 Likes