(Free?) Alternative to Sanebox?

Shame on me - I was using imapfilter and offlineimap and a simple local map server to manage my emails… Absolutely true. I can use imapfilter. And when I set it up on one pdf my pis, it is running 24/7.

Thanks a lot @hirenhindocha for reminding me of my emacs and gnus past.

What does this mean? (was it mis-typed)?

Typo. Should have been “one of my raspberry pis”

Sorry.

1 Like

I recently switched from Gmail(G Suite) to Fastmail, and I’m impressed with their features. The mail filtering appears to be done by the Sieve engine. You can create mail filters using their GUI. If that isn’t enough, you can write the mail filter rules using javascript . Also good is that you can export/import rules as json files, making them portable to other services using the same Sieve engine.

However, the rules only run for newly received mail. At least , as far as I can tell. They do have per-folder rules you can set such as auto-purge the delete older than the threshold you set. There are some other interesting folder settings you can read about on their wiki page - https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/folders.html.

I’m still using Apple mail as my primary client, but their Web client has some pretty nice features like smart folders, pinned messages, and more. After I have had their service longer ( it’s been like 3 days since I signed up) I might start using their Web client more when I’m on my Macbook.

Finally, I haven’t looked into whether or not they have a user-facing API for automation purposes. I’m happy with the rules + auto-purge features .

Update: I just noticed you said Free in the title. You’d have to check on their plan comparison page - https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/ . I’m on the standard $5/plan since I have a custom domain.

The free (and much more powerful) alternative to SaneBox is POPfile. I have been using it for many years now to pre-sort my inbox. In contrast to SaneBox, it considers the entire message content to determine where (which “bucket”) to file the message.

My classification accuracy is slightly lower than average but I deem it acceptable:

When I set it up some years ago, I wanted to challenge its capabilities by having two buckets with rather similar content and I never bothered to change that, I should probably reduce the number of my buckets and adjust them to my current workflow and that would probably increase accuracy. Here are more detailed stats for all my buckets:

I think this is one of the hidden gems of the internet and I’m still waiting for someone to pick this project up and give it a more user friendly UI. But then again, you hardly ever need the UI, since it just does its work in the background and learns as you move wrongly filed emails into the correct folder.

3 Likes

That is the one! I have used it in the past for pop but completely forgotten about it. I now read that it also can do imap - and I will set it up on a spare pi.