Frustrated by Tools at Work

I can’t remember the last time I used Sheets. I just happened to have seen the headline the day before. :wink:

1 Like

I used it, and for some reason it never worked the way my brain did. The tabs and tabs and tabs instead of folders, notes and tags just didn’t sit well. I stopped using it.

1 Like

Never mind Accounting, every company has some department that has a “Database” which is actually a spreadsheet. It’s business critical and anyone could type CTRL + A and delete at any time.

2 Likes

Until they (Google) Accidentally deleted an Australian Pension Fund’s whole account plus their backups. “Unprecedented” Google Cloud event wipes out customer account and its backups | Ars Technica

3 Likes

“the only option was a restore from a separate cloud provider (shoutout to the hero at UniSuper who chose a multi-cloud solution).”

Multi-cloud, disk to disk, tape, whatever. The hero knew how to do a proper backup. :trophy:

4 Likes

Data Engineer here. Salesforce is quickly running Tableau into the ground while MS has been continually investing in Power BI for years. My team is switching to Power BI from Tableau and feature wise it has so much more even if Tableau dashboards still look a little nicer.

3 Likes

We use both Power BI and Tableau at my current job, but last week we had a meeting and the bosses were thinking of not renewing our Tableau license, except one accountant said they still needed it for something. We have almost completely moved over to Power Bi, but like I said, we have went all in with MS, we use practically everything they offer. I am just a casual user, so I don’t know anything.

2 Likes

The old version, a decade ago, it was based on books with sections and I found that to be easier to use. Back when skeuomorphism was a big thing in software. I am used to the current way, but my notes turn into a mess quickly. It doesn’t even attempt to help organize your notes so I use search a lot. Otherwise a good program. Well that and they keep going more Apple like by removing options so you have to use it however they want you to use it. For instance you have to use OneDrive with it now, and you can’t even move the files or it causes all sort of problems (I learned that the hard way).

It used to have a LOT more features in that day, but it made it look more like a Word document in that you could lost in all the options.

2 Likes

I used OneNote for several years. It was okay but I never much liked it.

2 Likes

It feels a little weird to like a post about a Pension Fund losing their entire account and backups, but here you go. :wink:

1 Like

There is one thing that OneNote can do that few apps seem to be able to do. You can write with the Pencil anywhere. Not just in little boxes or sections, anywhere.

(I fully expect people to give me a list of apps that do this well now.) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s a great feature. I was speaking strictly of my own preferences. I don’t use a pencil and prefer markdown notes apps, but that’s just me.

I can repost this now that I’m not limited.

@cornchip wins the Internet with this one! :joy:

2 Likes