Full screen or windowed?

Hmmm. Slow drag of windows? I’m not familiar with that and I googled but couldn’t find more. Could you describe it in a little more detail?

I use windows almost always (MPB M1). I prefer having the menu bar (mostly for the “menulets”) and the dock visible. It’s not about long animations or switching spaces (though most of the time I only have one space). Rather than that, it’s about being in full control (which apps are running, what’s going on in terms of resource usage (iStat in the menu bar). Also, full screen may be nice when using just two apps but when you need the third one it becomes cumbersome.

One notable exception would be when I manage Photos library. I enjoy full screen mode as I can fully focus on the content and see more of the photo itself (13-inch display).

How have I never thought about this? Screw it, I’m doing this on every display size in my house, big or small. That app is always in my way. Brilliant. (I know one could hide or minimize it, but if that were working well for me, I wouldn’t be doing this.)

Most of the time: Maximized windows, one app per screen. I prefer that to full screen mode because I like to see the menubar and dock.

Often: split screen, one window on the left, one window on the right, when I am writing something and need to refer to notes or a webpage.

I go weeks or months at a time without ever seeing the desktop.

2 Likes

If you drag a window slowly enough, either the whole window or an edge/corner while resizing, then it will pause as it comes up against the edge of other windows. You can use this to create any tiling pattern you want.

Another tip many might not know about which helps with “ad hoc” tiling is double clicking on a window edge will instantly expand that edge out to the relevant edge of the screen.

1 Like

Thanks! I did not know either of those … but now I do, and I’m grateful.

(btw: I live just across the water from you, in Nelson. Howdy neighbour!)

Howdy! So close and yet so expensive to go between the two. :roll_eyes:

I have family in Nelson but haven’t been there for over 20 years!

Depends on an app. Mail app or outlook I mainly use in fullscreen mode on MBA (I usually work with two screens - MBA and external monitor) and safari on 2nd screen. All documents and other app I use in windows (I use moom to arrange them).

2 Likes

34inch screen user here, sometimes a windows opens screen size by default and I have a moment of horror. I actually bought a 34inch screen because I wanted to tile several windows side by side and I didn’t want the dual screen set up I previously had. On my screen I can fit three windows side by side at a satisfying width. YMMV!

I actually don’t like the appearance of full screen - is feeling “screen claustrophobic” a thing? I like being able to see my dock, the menu bar, the tiny little gaps of desktop I can just see round the window corners…

When I’m on a MBP (e.g. right now!) I usually just have one window full sized (like Safari right now), but I never click into fullscreen.

Also I rarely use my keyboard to navigate, that may affect people’s usage I think. I want to see my dock so I can click on the things I need.

same here, I also have a 34" monitor and using windowed apps. Even on my 13" MBP, I rarely go into full screen. My most favourite arrangement is to have 90% wide app glued to the right and another 90% wide app glued to the left, then I can easier switch between the two apps with my cursor

2 Likes

Lol I do that sometimes, it’s a quick way of switching windows.

I have also in this pandemic era taken to leaving my team’s chat in a normal sized window (on the far left if you’re wondering :joy:), and I overlay a 80-90% window on top with just a slither of space for the chat window. This leaves me enough space to see the name of the colleagues messaging me, but I don’t lose any screen space having the chat open properly. I can work in the windows I’m using and see who is messaging, but I don’t have to get distracted by what they’re saying, and it’s easy to click over if I actually want to read what’s being said. Since I started using chat like this I’ve disabled notifications since I can see at a glance what’s happening. (My team chats in real time and we’re expected to be available for each other.)

This may or may not be a trick I’ve revived from when I was young and carefree and didn’t want to miss anything that was happening with my friends in msn messenger….

Yes I totally agree and do the same thing - (like a muskrat lol)

When I’m working from home, I use Citrix Workspace to remote into my PC that’s in the office. It works pretty well, but one of the keypresses I cannot seem to get mapped successfully, is Alt-Tab. Which means switching apps is a real pain. So I use a similar process to this, making sure the three or four critical apps I am constantly switching between each have an “unencumbered corner” that I can always see and click on.

My ‘favourite’ Mac app is MS Teams. I zoom it to the full screen size on my 13" MBP screen while I have Citrix Workspace filling my 4K monitor. When I restart Teams, it remembers it was filling the screen, but always opens on the 4K monitor (which is my default monitor) and zooms to take the whole thing!

When using my 14" MacBook Pro as a laptop I use full-screen about 60% of the time just because I’m used to having much larger windows with fewer controls hidden. When using it connected to a Studio Display I only take Music or Plex in full screen.