Getting started w Devonthink

I’m new to DevonThink also. I found it helpful at first to just import some of my files into DT3 as a sample to experiment with and test program functions.

I also found it extremely helpful to download the “Take Control of DevonThink 3” book to my iPad, and then go through it section by section. As I did so on my iPad, I identified and tried out the features in my DT3 program. I didn’t try to do the whole book in a day, but rather went through it an hour or two at a time. This way I got familiar with some of the features of the program I may not have discovered on my own, or wouldn’t have known what to do with if I found. This process was most helpful.

After going through the book and playing with DT3 for a couple of weeks, I then transferred all of the files I intended to keep in my main DT database, and then added one very large folder of indexed files and archived my email to a separate database. Then I started figuring out my workflows for sending web clips to DT, transferring new pdfs into DT, using the OCR functions, and playing around with the AI suggested filing system vs. building some new hierarchal folders (“groups” in DT talk). Next I progressed to using DTTG by reading articles, forum posts, the manual, etc. and trying to work out any issues I encountered.

So over the first few weeks I learned the basics of the program, and then more features, and then started really working with the program in conjunction with DTTG. By approaching it this way, it significantly reduced for me the “overwhelming” and “steep learning curve” some experience. Your milage may be different.

One other comment. You expressed some concern about programs that you put important data in, and then can’t get out or it destroys your data. Remember that when you import data into DT it only makes copies. You still have the original files unless you choose to delete them. And taking files out is just as easy as putting them in; drag and drop easy. My understanding is that unlike some programs, DT does not convert your files into some proprietary format, but rather they stay the same. So no worries about covering them back to something you can use if the program becomes unsupported or you choose to move to something new. These features of DT made it particularly attractive to me, and one of the main reasons I decided to purchase and use the program.

I hope this has been helpful.

2 Likes

It occurred to me this morning as I was working on some documents in DT that not everyone will be aware of DT’s wonderful sorter. It is the fastest and easiest way to get content into DT on the Mac. I have the sorter located at the bottom right of my screen but one can have it nearly anywhere as well as a menu icon. The beauty of sorter is that you can drag files to it or create new text: audio, video, screen captures or web clips with the sorter. It is a great feature in DT.

3 Likes

@SteveU75 I ran across this article and thought that you might appreciate it.

2 Likes

But if the files are all in iCloud wouldn’t they all be in the same place on both machines

That might be, but I’m not really all that comfortable with iCloud breaking all my links/indexed items just because they make a design or programming decision?

That’s not my experience with DEVONthink or DEVONthink ToGo. DEVONthink doesn’t change files or links. You might wish to discuss your concerns at DEVONthink’s forum.

I have no concern whatsover with DT, I have concerns with Apple changing their setup and breaking links (mobile docs directory name or something like that)

1 Like

and just to elaborate, indexed files on a Mac can be downloaded to an iPad if you sync that indexed database on an iPad for example.

I use this feature often, and it still seems like magic at times. For example, I have one folder for recommendation letters that I write and the folder is indexed. After I finish the letter, within moments the letter is available on the iPad to sign and then it syncs quickly back to the Mac for me to send off.

Similarly I have an indexed folder of student submissions to grade. This is done on my iPad. DevonThink’s annotation features aren’t quite as good as some dedicated apps like GoodNotes or PDF Expert, but they aren’t terrible either.

In terms of indexing vs importing, I do both. I index when I need to access the folder with other apps.

Hmmm, that is strange. I also can no longer access that article. I have no idea what happened.

Found it on wayback machine

2 Likes

It looks like the link to the 10 year article is broken. :cry: