Good Apple Karma

I was on campus yesterday and happened upon a 27" thunderbolt display with a “free” taped to it right in front of the building my office is in. I just so happen to already have a thunderbolt-to-USB 3 adapter. I took it in and tested it out and it works!

While the resolution isn’t nearly as good as my 24" iMac, it makes a fine companion for reference material, like Tinderbox files that love a big canvas.

18 Likes

That’s great! Many years ago I gave my old Apple Thunderbolt display to a friend who used it for a home office. And this weekend I heard that it’s now going to another friend to be used as a second display for a MacBook Air.

5 Likes

Where can I get a friend like that…? :thinking:

2 Likes

I remember picking one up for a client in 2015 or so. Even then the salesperson was like “Wait, really?” I thought that was a shame, as the Thunderbolt Display was really cool in its day.

Curious if you would run a test – I have two of the 27" Thunderbolts attached to a new M1 MacBook Pro Max. There’s a glitch in the power management that basically prevents me from connecting my iPhone Pro 13 to the USB-A port on the back of the Thunderbolt Display for charging. I get a data connection, but no charging (or a very slow trickle). I believe it’s a bug in the 14" MacBook Pro related to the M1 architecture. Can you see if you can charge an IOS device off the back of the Thunderbolt?

Here’s a link with more detail: macbook pro - Thunderbolt Display does not charge USB devices when connected to M1 Mac - Ask Different

I’d post there, but they won’t let me due to their reputation requirements (I lack points…sigh).