Google, Apple and Microsoft: A password-free future is in the making (FIDO/Passkeys)

Interesting articles, thanks for posting them.

IMO password managers will definitely have a business use case. So it will be interesting to see how quickly the “big tech companies” will implement the export/import of passkeys. The temptation to use them as another way to lock in users must be overwhelming.

Re: criminals “recovering” your ID. This has been and always will be a major vulnerability. If anyone can help me if I forget my password then my data is not as secure as possible.

I would normally expect financial institutions to welcome passkeys with open arms but I suspect they may be among the last to adopt them. Any institution that uses SMS for 2FA values customer service more than security.

Absolutely! Especially in teams where there is a need to share passkeys securely! I should have written “for personal use” instead of “regular user”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The third party managers are the ones who are going to do a good job providing a useful mix of attestation services you control. E.g., 1Password will help you manage (mostly look at) your super-locked-down key that your bank (hopefully optionally) requires, and at the same time, make it easy to use and move your portable keys for typical logins.

1Password released (beta) passkey support today :tada: