Google requiring all ‘G Suite legacy free edition’ users to start paying for Workspace this year

Great, a class action lawsuit. If they can get a massive settlement I might end up with enough to pay for a small cup of coffee, at McDonald’s. :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

That’s my frustration with these sorts of things too. If past experience is any indicator, the courts will never actually order the company to “do the right thing” - they’ll compute some sort of damage award, the people will still lose all of their purchases, and the claimants will each get $10 to spend - but only in the Google Play store with a new account they create.

1 Like

$10 would be quite a haul. I’ve never joined a class action suit but have been included in a couple. My largest check was less than $2.

Claimants getting a check to spend in the Google Play Store aka Gift card to spend within their platform. :grin:

I can confirm this works. Set up a mail forwarding rule directly in Google Domains and the email is now going to my @gmail.com account.

Still I am strongly considering redirecting the MX registers to my iCloud account and be done with it forever with Google for my personal domain address.

1 Like

I understand, email can be frustrating. iCloud email is too basic for my needs. I been using Google since a co-worker gave me an invitation to the beta. I need its server side rules. But if it works for you, great.

When asked ‘which email service is the best’ I normally tell people that Apple, Google, Fastmail, Microsoft, etc. are all about the same. Pick one and see if it works for you. Try all four, if you want, before you make your decision. But avoid using email from your ISP (Comcast, etc) so you don’t lose your address if you change providers. And avoid Yahoo, it has admitted that 3 billion user accounts were hacked.

Yes, GMail is great. Did never break a sweat searching for messages in my two accounts, and I have more than 30GB combined!

For those like me who are thinking of closing their gsuite account, where are you looking to migrate your email and calendar etc to?

I was thinking of moving our calendars to our personal gmail accounts and then move the email back to the domain hosting company I use (justhostme.co.uk). They have said that they don’t have an import tool but if I download all my mail to a client app like Outlook using Pop3 and then sync it with their servers by changing the account to IMAP I should end up with all my emails migrated across.

Any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated, I have several family members on my gsuite account and they will not be best pleased if they loose emails etc

As long as you’re comfortable paying $5/account/month, there seems to be somewhat of a community consensus that Fastmail is a decent provider. Otherwise if you’re just looking for an inexpensive solution Hover.com does email in addition to domain registration, and they have plans starting at $20/account/year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother with POP3, you can use Mail.app on your Mac to export your mail.

Or just leave your old account active, set up your new account in the same email client, and copy from one to the other via IMAP. Tip: Don’t try to copy everything at once. Email providers frequently limit the amount of mail that can be transferred at one time, so start with a few months at a time.

2 Likes

For G Suite accounts that only forward email these days, I’ll be moving them to ImprovMX and archiving their mailboxes locally. I’ve been happy with that service for a few small projects.

Is the free ImprovMX account sufficient for your use case?

Yes, though I do need a few accounts due to the one-domain-per-account limit. I think the paid product seems totally reasonable, but I don’t have trouble managing the complexity and don’t need to send emails from these addresses.

I am using Cloudflare email routing for all my domains. It’s working very well. I was considering Improvx prior to my current setup.

Looks like a great initial product! I missed that announcement. I might try it for a couple of domains already set up through Cloudflare.

Any recommended guides if going the cloudflare route?

It is a beta Cloudflare product so you need to request access and wait to be accepted. You also need your name servers pointed to Cloudflare.

Once you are accepted, it’s a pretty straight forward process where it guides you. Things like catch all and which emails are forwarded to which email address etc

There is a guide and a video on their blog:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-email-routing/

1 Like

I’ve used the legacy G Suite for close to 15 years with my domain and other hosting at Bluehost. Considering I don’t need to host WordPress anymore and I can use a Gmail account if I really need to use GSuite products, I think the only thing I really need to do is pick a new mail provider and plan the migration.

At the moment, I’m leaning towards going the Fastmail route, though I’d appreciate hearing anyone else’s opinions. We obviously heard recently about @MacSparky s move to Fastmail and @RosemaryOrchard has been trying a few mail options too.

I’m open to hearing other recommendations if really all I need to do is find a host for my email account on my own domain, which I’m glad to move as well.

1 Like

If you just need plain ol’ IMAP email for a couple of email addresses, without a bunch of extra capabilities, you could just go to Hover and register the domain with them. Then pick a mailbox option depending on the storage capacity you need. Very reasonably priced, and I’d still be there if I didn’t have a couple dozen legacy forwarding addresses I needed to maintain.

If you need more features (forwarding addresses, robust server-side rules, etc.) then it’s hard to beat Fastmail.

Thank you. I"ll definitely look at Hover as an option.