Grammarly Now Supports Native Mac Apps

With the recent addition of Grammarly Desktop, Grammarly can now be used in many native Mac apps. This is something I’ve been wanting for years. It’s great that it’s arrived and is so widely supported!

So far, I’ve successfully used Grammarly in Mail, Notes, Pages, Keynote, Drafts and Ulysses. Works like a charm!

If Grammarly gets in the way, you can snooze it for 30 minutes or exclude the current app. It’s also simple enough to quit Grammarly when it’s not needed and relaunch it when you want to call upon its services.

18 Likes

Thank you for this PSA. I subscribe to Grammarly, and this makes it much easier to use. I tried it on Nisus Writer Pro, and it seems to work well.

2 Likes

Works in IA writer too!

3 Likes

and works in Obsidian too!

4 Likes

It also works in non-native apps, e.g. in Electron apps.

2 Likes

I discovered this as well. For example, I’ve been using Grammarly with Slack…and am finding that it works very well.

1 Like

While I appreciate having access to Grammarly across many of my apps, I don’t always need to be checking my spelling and grammar.

I created a simple Keyboard Maestro macro (tied to ⌥⇧⌘G) that toggles Grammarly. This way I can easily fire up Grammarly when I need its services and shut it down if it’s getting in the way or is not needed. This macro also automatically closes the window that is displayed when Grammarly launches.

9 Likes

It appears though that you still need to use the Grammarly extension in Safari. Would have been nice if I could have turned that off and just used the system-wide service instead.

1 Like

Does it work for the free Grammarly or does it require a subscription?

I’m currently using Grammarly Premium. As far as I know, Grammarly Desktop works with the free version of Grammarly as well. I think it’s the advanced features and suggestions that differentiate the free and paid versions of Grammarly rather than the underlying technology.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I push Grammarly to my students, but mostly the free version.

1 Like

This is a really great tip, @timstringer! Thanks for sharing this macro.

1 Like

Thank you for this great tip, I am using the free version and it works great but I don’t need it all the time.

1 Like

Loving it! Thanks for the heads up @timstringer.

It seems a bit wonky for me in mail.app—it puts the text replacement in the middle of the previous or next word. Though, I reckon just getting their red underline is worth it, so I can see where things go wrong! (And I’m sure they’ll fix this bug soon.)

1 Like

You’re very welcome, @funkydan2. Great to hear you’re loving Grammarly Desktop!

Interesting. I’ve been using Grammarly quite a bit with the Mail app and haven’t had any issues with the text replacement. In case it’s relevant, I’m running macOS Monterey (12.0.1) and an M1 MacBook Pro.

I installed Grammarly Desktop, but then discovered that standard keyboard shortcuts for Save, Copy, New and so on were no longer working, at least not in Mellel. I then noticed that one has to sign in in order to save and access one’s documents. I didn’t like the sound of that, and so I uninstalled Grammarly Desktop, restarted, and now the keyboard shortcuts are working again. Has anyone else had this problem?

How does grammarly compare to the new grammar checker in Ulysses?

1 Like

I don’t have enough experience with Ulysses’ built-in grammar check to offer an opinion. Though, I do like to at least have the option of using Grammarly in Ulysses, as that’s what I’m most familiar with. And for particularly important writing I could see running a check with both.

You have to have the desktop app installed. Then it is just there. They seem to be making a lot of updates to the Grammarly function - at first in Obsidian the green circle G was in the way, then it move to follow the typing point but out of the way and then it disappeared but the Grammarly popups still appear on hover. Depending on plugins and such, it seems to have occasional lags in Obsidian but still editing is very snappy in Obsidian.

1 Like

Working fine on my late 2014 27" 5K iMac on Catalina - so fine on Intel for me.