Grammarly Now Supports Native Mac Apps

Working fine on my late 2014 27" 5K iMac on Catalina - so fine on Intel for me.

FYI, Grammarly premium is on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday for 55% off. $5.40/month when paid annually.
https://www.grammarly.com/promo/black-friday-cyber-monday

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about subscribing to Grammarly for a while. Decided to install it yesterday and try out the free version again, ever since the fans on my MBP and CPU have been going nuts. Anyone else found this?

Aaand nabbed. Just a three month “trial” at first. Never thought I’d spend more time writing English than code, but I’m up to my neck in strategy documents and the like.

I’m running Grammarly Desktop on an M1 MacBook Pro and a late 2015 iMac (both are running macOS 12.0.1 Monterey) and haven’t noticed any performance issues.

Have you checked Activity Monitor to see if Grammarly Desktop is what’s causing the fans to spin up? It wouldn’t hurt to restart your Mac as well to see if that helps.

Here’s the RAM consumption by Grammarly Desktop on my computer:

Yeah, but that’s because you HAVE available RAM. It won’t kick out anything as long as it doesn’t have to - that’s how RAM usage works.
It’s like an attic. When it gets full, you throw out some stuff, and then you wait until it gets full again before you feel the pressure to do anything about it. At least, that’s how it works for me.

3 Likes

should have added in my earlier message that I am quite okay with the RAM consumption for the added functionality.

1 Like

You took the words right out of my mouth. I cannot see paying that kind of money for Grammarly. I wrote a short story. I had Ulysses check my grammar and spelling. It came back with no errors whatsoever.

$30 per month for iOS! C’mon. Ok, so it’s $140 per year.

You can get Ulysses in set app subscription for $10 per month which includes loads of other apps. And, no, I don’t work for them! LOL!

Actually, the grammar and spelling are free. It’s the style, semantics and content editing suggestions that cost extra :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really? How can an app do styles? Wow! Where can you get it?

Well, here: Grammarly Prices and Plans | Grammarly

1 Like

Well, here I am, thanking you!

1 Like

This is dodgy behavior, IMO. A good citizen app would ask before coopting a global macOS setting, and then provide an uninstaller that would reverse the setting as it left the house.

8 Likes

If grammarly is running, does it check grammar in all apps then? If its not, does it not read keyboard input?

I don’t want to share everything I type with grammarly, so this conditional checking would be awesome if anyone can help me with the above

I don’t think you can maintain a whitelist of sites and apps, but you can block Grammarly from working with their blocklist/blacklist. Grammarly doesn’t do anything (i.e. doesn’t see/process text) if it’s blocked from a site or app.

1 Like

I have a grammarly sub (via their Black Friday deal) which I bought entirely for the desktop app.

However I find the desktop app really buggy.

1. Seem to work in inconsistently in some apps, especially Nisus Writer Pro. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn’t.

2. Text replacement. I.e. when I click to agree on a proposed typo correction, it will often paste the letters into the wrong part of the word and/or not remove typo-affected letters

I’ve noticed Pro Writing Aid now has a desktop app too. Does anyone know if it’s more reliable than Grammarly’s?

Is it still working for you in Nisus Writer Pro? It seems to have stopped underlining words, and is generally pretty unreliable in NWP.

It looks like it only underlines things now if I click on the floating Grammarly icon, which isn’t ideal. It never worked great in NWP unless I went into Draft View.

Unfortunately, no support for Thunderbird (yet?). I submitted a feature request. Would other Thunderbird users who read this please consider submitting the feature if they would find it useful?