Hackintosh Systems

But how long will the trash can be supported by macOS? You may find yourself with only a year or two of OS upgrades.

If you can’t figure it out on your own using support from some of the excellent community sites out there then I would recommend you not go that route. Something will eventually break with an update or new version release. If you can’t get it up and running on your own, you are going to be stuck when something eventually goes wrong.

So, I went ahead and try it out following a youtube video my morgonaut.cloud - btw, excellent and very concise video… and got Mojave installed without much fuss. However, while macOS runs really fast on my Hackintosh system, I find a few problems which puts me off:

1. Mojave does not support Nvidia… so, ok, no problem, it is a productivity machine, not a gaming one, so I can live with the intel on-board graphic. It’s no big deal but it is a pebble in the shoe.

2. Most of the apps I downloaded from Mac App Store does not run. The error of “application is damaged and need to be downloaded again” is prevalent. It’s very strange - I can download MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint and they works but I cannot run Calcbot, Daisy Disk and Cardhop. I can download Whatsapp but it cannot connect to my phone to show my messages.

3. My sound didn’t work and the USB dongle that I have, while it works with the Magic Trackpad, has significance lag. Also, my Razer mouse seems to not be able to consistently register the right click. Left click is ok.

So anyway, there are many kinks and tweaking as was shared by posters above - it’s not going to be smooth sailing but it is fun while it lasts.

1 Like

As long as you’re okay with onboard graphics, you can do a custom config on a new Mini you can make it absolutely scream. Absolutely maxed out its $3199 and that includes 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD. (It looks like SSD prices have plummeted. It used to be $1000 to go from 1TB to 2TB, but now it’s $400.)

Thanks @SteveH… I always have the impression that the Mac Mini, being small, has some sort of heat throttling, or using a laptop class processor. Therefore, in my mind, a desktop class Mac Pro, with huge heat sink, will be able to “scream louder” I should go and check some of these benchmarks in the Net.