Handwritten notes app for iPad

Until receiving my 10.5 iPad Pro in March, my life was a hot mess of dead tree notebooks! Decided to use GoodNotes and have been very pleased with my choice. Agree pretty much with all the other replies on this app. Something I’ve taken to doing is adding a text box with the relevant “keywords” at the top of the page to improve the search function.

4 Likes

As I indicated above, I have defaulted back to Apple Notes. I created a Cornell Note template for taking meeting notes in Apple Notes. This works well. After the meeting I add action items into Asana and move the note into the proper folder for future reference. The one down side is that Apple Notes will not recognize handwritten notes ON THE PDF TEMPLATE but does elsewhere in the note.

2 Likes

Coming late to to the thread but I really want to say a positive word about Notability. GoodNotes is a fine app but it had LOTS of sync problems to the point that it was unusable - however I heard it was sorted. I prefer Notability because it offers continuous page scrolling;: that way I can always write in the middle of the page with my wrist resting comfortably on the middle of the screen. GoodNotes does not offer that which makes for uncomfortable writing down the page. Which, for a handwritten notes app, is a deal breaker.

2 Likes

I lived through that awful period of syncing issues with GoodNotes. My primary use is the iPad, so syncing wasn’t a deal-breaker, but when I wanted to pull up my notes on the Mac, it was frustrating. In my experience this has been completely resolved now and it seems bullet-proof.

I can understand the appeal of an ever-expanding canvas in Notability, but this was something I could never get used to. I like the confines of a single page to help frame my thoughts. I do agree with the problems of trying to write in the upper reaches of the page. My solution for this in GoodNotes is to start every page by writing in the center. After I’ve written a section, I’ll circle it with the lasso tool and move it higher in the page. In brainstorming an idea, I’ll find myself re-arranging things a lot in the app; this is super easy in the app and so much better than real paper and pen…

Also, really enjoying the new Apple Pencil and the tap to switch to eraser which I’m sure works in both GoodNotes and Notability… Very intuitive and I don’t lose my concentration as much now when writing or drawing.

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either GoodNotes or Notability. Comes down to personal preferences…

1 Like

Why are you using Notability for general note taking? Does it overcome any particular shortcoming of GoodNotes for you?

1 Like

Endless scrolling. It’s a big deal for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are not liking the bottom pane? I find it quite nice, with auto-advance and a zoomed in view that allows me a bit larger hand motion while still keeping the text at a normal size on the page.

1 Like