Has Evernote progressed enough to use?

It’s been rock solid for me. Picks up anything I throw at it apart from non-native apps. :man_shrugging:

At the risk of offending Devon lovers here, I test drove Devon many moons ago and found it to be overkill for my needs. It took too much setup for my taste. I dropped it and never looked back.

Yep even MS Outlook on Mac is tied to the native Spotlight index if memory serves me. I recall that used to break pretty often as well.

For those that are curious, some of the tools I’m using testing:

• Command-E: I’ve been using this for the last two year or so and the dev team is super responsive. However, they recently got acquired by Dropbox though they confirmed that they are still developing the product. It’s pretty cool for searching my recent browsing history and my Asana tasks (though only the names and not deep search) as well as many other popular tools. See screenshot for a peek.

• Raycast: Promising but I’ve yet to really play with it.

• Quicksilver: I use this mainly for launching and relaunching apps and, quite usefully, wildcard-based web searches. I like how there’s a tight community still keeping it alive!

• Honorable mention: Workona for managing my browser tabs and grouping them into various workspaces.

2 Likes

I don’t know of an official way, but the Yarle method was pretty easy.

1 Like

Thanks to you guys I thought I’d give it another go yesterday and WOAH… I really didn’t want to like it but I’m impressed. It’s filling a hole I haven’t been able to fill.

It also helps with my Boox Note Air 2 - as much as I love the device I have struggled to fit it into my workflow… I never knew it synced to Evernote… my life feels complete!

3 Likes

How has it been over the past few days? Have you stuck with Evernote, or returned to what you were using before?

MPU Talk not only answers, it follows through!

True!

I’m despairing of the Obsidian mobile app, which is not a joyful experience. So, after several years away, I’m wondering if I should come back to Evernote.

I’m interested to hear from others who’ve already made the journey back (especially if they went from Obsidian to Evernote, which is, I assume, not a common move!)

I tried for 2 week, but it didn’t work. My biggest failure was the non-native app failing to properly integrate, which for me was crucial for a notes app.

I think it’s pretty amazing that about 2 years after a mass movement, no-one is recommending Roam.

It’s a great product which is available via a web browser (something which is important to me for work) BUT it costs $180 a year which is ridiculous.

To me it seems that Roam has been superseded by a number of apps/services such as Obsidian, Craft, Agenda… for a much cheaper price, but still no-one is offering a web front end.

I want something which allows backlinking, templates and daily notes, but available via Local apps, but also via a browser window without hosting the files/database locally.

Obsidian is doing a job for me, but my inability to reasonably use it on my work windows laptop (My choice as I don’t want my files stored on a non personal device) makes is feel a lot less in the flow of my work.

1 Like

Craft does all of these. And they just added web analytics to the app today.

1 Like

The Dropbox of PKM apps, maybe.
<insert quote about Steve Jobs stating Dropbox had a feature, not a product>

I was using Obsidian with sync for the past year or so, running it alongside Evernote. The distinction for me was “my thoughts” in Obsidian vs “other peoples thoughts” in Evernote.

I sat down and looked through my stuff today and tried to be honest with myself. I wasn’t going to make decisions based on what people said on a podcast, what’s popular, or what the consensus on here would be — I was going to make the decision based on how I used apps over the past year or so, and where I see myself going.

I took a few book notes in Obsidian, but that was when everything was new and fresh. I never found myself referring back to things — ever. I’m definitely what you’d call a Librarian. I’m more of the “store this until I need it” type of person than someone who often refers back to what they wrote.

Obsidian has some amazing features but ultimately, I found a lot of friction getting things into it, how to organize it, and the mobile app was just not a pleasant experience.

I settled on Evernote for what I was primarily using Evernote for anyway (reference notes, emails, scribbles etc). For my weekly review I’m moving my thoughts into Day One. I do more of the “hows my life going” kind of reviews and how my roles are progressing, and for tracking weekly goals I’m back on Trello. I had this setup with the Kanban plugin in Obsidian, but Trello looks prettier and offers a bit more functionality.

Overall for me, Obsidian was just too plain, not visual enough, and relied too much on plug ins and a lot of fiddling around.

Evernote - My Everything bucket
Trello - Track ideas and goals
Day One - Weekly reviews, thoughts.

I’m a visual learner and a librarian so for me, these make the most sense.

Another reason I left Obsidian — I found for me, I was forcing it to do things it’s not as good at as other apps. It can be a task manager, but I prefer Todoist. It can let you track goals in a kanban board, but I prefer Trello. And when I was looking into tracking a reading list I did some research on the Obsidian forum. People were writing up these elaborate solutions where it’s like “I have a template that enters i [[BookName]] [[Book Title]] Year| Month| Author, and then I link that out to my library with the data view, and then from there….I just like doing things quickly and visually. I don’t need such an elaborate solution. Not knocking it, just saying it’s not for me personally. And I realize my code up there isn’t accurate — let’s call it pseudo code to get my point across LOL.

4 Likes

If they’ve added a Web front end, I’m suddenly interested in getting reacquainted with craft

It’s a really good app/service, but for what I use it for, it’s not $15 a month good.

There is and is well done. Below is the text from the email I received this morning which may be of interest to you.

What’s New

1. Share Analytics

With Share Analytics, you can get a quick & easy overview of how your shared documents perform in your whole Space or for each document.

You can check in two different places how many times your shared content was checked:

Shared Content folder (Mac, iPad, iPhone)

If you open the Shared content folder, you will see a simple diagram where you can check how many times your shared content was checked, how many views it generated and how long on average visitors spent on your shared document. If you have multiple subpages in a shared document, then every subpage that’s opened counts as a view.

This is the dashboard where you can quickly check each shared document’s metrics.

Get a quick overview of all your shared documents under the Shared Content folder

• • •

Document / Page-level analytics under the ‘Shared’ button (Mac, iPad, iPhone, :globe_with_meridians: Web app)

The other way to see how many times your document’s share link was viewed, is to open a document and click the ‘Share’ button. The document’s number of views is at the bottom.

Check out for every shared link how many times it was viewed in the past 30 days

• • •

It’s important to emphasize we have built this feature with privacy in mind. Share Analytics simply captures when a shared page is loaded. Craft doesn’t know who is loading the shared page and we don’t store any personally identifiable information about the viewer.

If you want to learn more about the technical details of how Share Analytics works, you can find more information here.

1. Advanced Share Analytics

If you are using Craft for business, for example, as a freelancer, in a team, or as a content creator, then understanding your audience better can provide crucial information for improving your workflow and your documents.

If you have a Business Plan, you unlock advanced Share Analytics capabilities, empowering you to drill down for more detailed insights about your shared pages.

The detailed view

Just click on one of the blue bars in the dashboard for a detailed view. Or you can get a detailed view of a specific document by opening the doc itself. You can also access the ‘View Analytics’ option from the shared content list, located below the dashboard.

Either open the document and click on the bottom bar in the share popup, or in the share content, just click on the count / 3 dot button next to the document and select View Analytics

• • •

Once the detailed view opens, you will see a similar breakdown:

Detailed view contains four additional widgets - Top Countries, Top Pages, Top Devices, Top Sources

• Top Countries - List of countries where your readers are.

• Top Pages - List of the (sub)pages of your document.

• Top Devices - Desktop / Mobile / Tablet / Other.

• Top Sources - Shows which referral sources are driving traffic to your document.

• • •

Filters

Every list item is a potential filter. For example, simply click on a day in the bar chart and you will see that specific day, or you can create a complex filter for every US desktop user who checked a specific page in your shared document.

Day filter (left), Country + Device + Page filter (right)

• • •

Detailed lists

If you are interested in a detailed breakdown of any of the categories, just click on the ‘View all’ for the full list.

The shared document is most popular in Japan - time to localize your content? :jp:

1. Share Page customization

Customization and showcasing your brand is also important, when it comes to business. Starting from today, a new option is available on the Business Admin page. You can use your own logo on every Shared Page of your Team’s Space. The optimal logo size is 256x256 pixels.

Also, you can set a custom click-through URL to point to your own website.

If you are already a Business user, we recommend giving it a quick try!

• • •

After enabling your brand or team’s logo on the Share Pages, every shared document from your Team’s Spaces will use this logo.

Highlight your Brand / Team on every Shared Page

I created a test note to show you how it works on the web, perhaps Craft will meet your needs for far less cost.

Sharing from the Craft app on the Mac:

Web Version:

Further to what I said above, I realized also that there are different uses among different people. I listen to the Accidental Tech Podcast a lot and I actually got a question of mine on their “AskATP” segment about a year ago. I asked what note takers the hosts use. I figured Marco probably had something elaborate set up to look up code, and John seemed like he’d be the type to store a lot of thoughts/records electronically.

To my surprise they all said the didn’t really use anything and in various points over the past few months they’ve even had a chuckle at PKM’s expense. They basically cited their use of Apple Notes when a note was absolutely necessary, but that’s about it.

I’m not the type of person to write pages of notes on a book and organize everything I thought about it in Obsidian. I wanted to be, it sounds romantic, but it’s just not me. It took me a while to convince myself of this.

I think I fall more in line with the ATP Hosts, though I do use Evernote to store things I want to refer to later.

1 Like

I don’t use Roam now (although I did about 18 months ago) I’ve been using Obsidian, but lack of a web view (without storage of local files) was causing friction.

I’ll check this out when I have time later in the week thank you.

1 Like

This is my stable tool stack for notes, bookmarks, web clips, “Everything Bucket” etc, which I’ve been using for a long time.

I’m thinking I could replace most/all of it with Evernote:

1. Notes: Obsidian

2. Bookmarks: Raindrop

3. Web clipping/archiving: Devonthink automatically saves new Raindrop bookmarks as PDFs and sorts them into the relevant folders. I don’t actually interact directly with Devonthink as it’s completely automated with smart rules.

4. Saving emails / attachments (i.e. my DIY alternative to email-to-evernote). I forward relevant emails to a dedicated email address, and append @Tag (e.g @Receipts) to the subject header. I made a recipe in Integromat (newly rebranded to make.com) which monitors the dedicated email address, and then automatically saves the email contents & attachments to the relevant dropbox folder, based on the @Tag in the subject header

5. Scratchpad / quick text: Drafts

6. Searching my own content: Foxtrot Professional Search

It all works, and works reliably.

The primary reason to consider moving to Evernote would be the Obsidian iOS app, which I find really clunky.

2 Likes

Couple of good tips here. In particular, I’m going to look into Foxtrot and Raindrop->DevonThink workflows. Thanks!