Has your podcast listening increased or decreased compared to pre-COVID

Curious if podcast listening has changed since COVID

Has your podcast listening increased, decreased or about the same compared to pre-COVID

• My podcast listening has increased
  • My podcast listening has decreased
  • My podcast listening is about the same
  • I no longer listen to podcasts

0 voters

Please feed my curiosity :+1:

It has decreased because I don’t do wet lab work anymore. Also, I pivot to audiobooks.

Many podcasts have to long episodes for my taste. I prefer 25-35 mins episodes.

1 Like

For me it has increased by 100%, but independent of COVID, I guess.

1 Like

I’ve stopped listening to most spoken-word podcasts, in preference for music podcasts. I find the latter are exactly what I need these days to help me relax.

interesting… what are music podcasts??? tell me more

I changed jobs which meant 6 hours less of commuting, which has led to a drop.

1 Like

My listening went through the roof for the first few months of COVID shutdown thanks to needing 1-2 hour long walks to get out of the house (often finishing YEARS worth of show backlogs within a few weeks). My listening is now the same as it was pre-shutdown, now around 2 hours a day, mostly in the background as I work.

OMG. 6 hours per day? per week? That must have been horrible after a while.

Oops, that sounded really bad.

In my old role and company I was travelling between 1:45 and 2 hours a day and commuting 5 days a week. I’d done that for over 17 years with one day WFH every 2 or 3 weeks. To be honest, I really love driving, my company provided me a car after the first 2 years and podcasts are good company so I enjoyed the break between work and home.

In my new role I do 2 days a week at home and then 3 days a week in the office with an average of 1:30 a day spent commuting.

I had to chop some podcasts as they reallllly started backing up.

3 Likes

Maybe the equivalent of the things, formerly know as “records” or “CD”? :thinking: :grinning:

2 Likes

and with interest rates rising… CDs are back baby!

*I am told these are not the CDs you speak of.

2 Likes

I do still listen to Podcasts, but I primarily listened on my commute - several hours a week which ceased with the first lockdown here in the UK.

I’ll be returning to them soon as my commute restarts (although I must confess to being a little bored with most of my selections and going for audio books instead - especially since Audible has so many now included in the membership fee).

1 Like

mine has increased recently. Main reason is it is so easy to find good podcasts and also super easy to fast forward past the uninteresting parts.

Ex: with Overcast or iCatcher etc. - you can FF or just setup jump buttons to go back or forward xx seconds

Since I only listen to podcasts in the car and I traveled little during most of the past two years, my listening decreased markedly.

2 Likes

My increase is less because of COVID and more just me cleaning out my Overcast and adding some more interesting shows :laughing:

Mine increased, but not related to COVID. Daughter started school this year, so went from driving her to daycare & listening to Disney soundtracks on repeat to walking her to school and then getting to choose my own music in the car on the way to work!

2 Likes

The amount of listening has stayed roughly the same, the podcasts have shuffled a bit.
Mainly due to the BBC moving a lot of their podcasts into their awful app.

1 Like

When driving long distances I listen to a lot of podcasts and old radio shows. With less driving I’m only listening to my favorite podcasts.

1 Like

interetting. In my own case I am not sure how related to Covid it was though. I really don’t feel I have enough self insight to be sure. It has increased a lot over the last two years: it seems to me that that is because there are a lot more podcasts of interest to me which are more than chitter chatter if I can put it that way.

For many years I have listened to podcasts primarily when walking for exercise. I also listen when driving, and when doing extended chores around the house. That hasn’t changed. I worked from home before the pandemic and continue to do so now – no commute.