Help Me Choose a New Laptop

My work is willing to replace my MBPr 13 in, early 2015, 2.9 Dual core i5 (8GB RAM)

I teach full-time at the local community college in web design/development as well as geospatial science. I do take my current laptop with me all over the place.

Any thoughts on which one I should choose or should I hang on to the one I have for now? I’m happy with the current machine, if that is the overall best choice.

My two choices are:

13-inch MacBook Pro Retina -Space Gray

· 2.4GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
· Touch Bar and Touch ID
· Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
· 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory

16-inch MacBook Pro

2.3GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor
16GB 266MHz DDR4 Memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory
1TB SSD storage.

Thanks

Dennis
#firstworldproblems

16” just for the keyboard if nothing else!

3 Likes

Yep, I second @aardy on the keyboard.
The 16" is only 1# heavier than the 13" too. 1T SSD and 16GB memory should serve you well.

3 Likes

Or if you really want a 13” and can wait, maybe an updated 13” with a better keyboard will be out this year?
But can’t really go wrong with a 16”.

1 Like

I wouldn’t replace the 2015 13" MBP with the latest 13" MBP because of the Butterfly keyboard. Your old one is better (plus all the ports and the magsafe cord).

However the 16" MBP has a keyboard that is almost as good, and a fantastic display, so will feel like an upgrade.

But the bottom line is if your current Mac supports your needs, continue to use it. When you finally do need a new Mac, they will probably be better than what’s available today.

1 Like

Is there a reason you’re thinking about the 13-inch? Does your community college have a standard computer refresh cycle?

No, I dont have to upgrade, I just asked them since I know I’m eligible. Like @tomalmy suggested, I may just stick with it for now. I don’t need a crappy keyboard.

But the 16 does look appealing…

I ask because there might come a time where you may need to upgrade and the funding won’t be available. You may want to take advantage of the situation while you can.

1 Like

They allow the PC Windows users to upgrade every 2-3 years. Mac users are eligible every 5 years…

edited strikethrough PC

I just got a 16 from my university and I love it.

So…that’s what I think you should do.

1 Like