Help with external hard drive always spinning

I’ve got an iMac with a 256GB SSD and purchased a Seagate Backup Plus 4GB portable hard drive. I currently am only using it for a time machine backup and to hold my photo library (it’s set as the system photo library).

For some reason the drive is constantly spinning while my computer is running, any ideas on what is going on and how I might be able to stop that from happening? Hearing the drive constantly spinning is a bit annoying but I’m more concerned that it’ll wear out the drive.

I can understand how this can be annoying. There is an option to spin down your drives when not in use in the System Preferences Power setting.

I wouldn’t be concerned about it wearing out. We used Mac Minis as servers which ran 24x7 for 5 - 7 years with only the occasional reboot. And, as I recall, I only had to replace 2 or 3 hard drives out of a batch of 60 iMacs we purchased in 2009 and were still using last September. YMMV

Even consumer lever hard drives are very reliable these days. Just don’t bump them while running. Or drop them :slight_smile: