HomeKit w/o an iOS Password

Looking to set some home automation for my parents…parents who refuse passwords on their devices.
Searching for a creative way to set them up for automation w/o any passwords on their devices.

One thought…I set up a new home on my own account and get it connected to an iPod mini. Plug the mini in at their home, get it connected to their internet and I manage their home network remotely. This all seems quite doable. …however looking for input in advance …anyone else doing something similar?

What about an AppleTV in a closet with the smallest possible HDMI screen you can find?

1 Like

Looking to use HomeKit to automate outdoor lighting, a solution I find MUCH better than light sensors etc. Yes, I do have a special apple ID account for them. That said once I have one of their devices setup for HomeKit as the hub, apple forces the passcode (or am I misremembering?)

If I set up a new home (their home) on my account, which had the iPod mini connected, couldn’t I then plugi it in at their house, give it wifi and job done? It would be my account using a different wifi?

No real plans to remote in - more of a set and forget. I do see them often enough where if something breaks I can fix on sight.

1. Yes, for anyone looking to get a remote automated home for people who refuse passwords, this works.

2. Yes, overkill I thought too until they learned of the speaker … they love the speaker now.

@SpivR, yes true. I have done many over the years, though the photo sensor eventually burn out and the on/off functions stagger. Now the lights are synchronized, nice touch. I see more of their lighting getting added to the network over the next year.

Actually see them wanting to use the iPhone Siri capabilities at some point they will ask me about it…at which point I expect they will need to get comfortable w/passwords.