Homepod mini right pod this time?

With a HomePod Mini in the bedroom does that work as an alarm clock as well?

Okay. Iā€™m still curious about whether it can take damp over time

Yes, the HomePod mini can function as an alarm with either a tone or media being able to be selected. The alarm can be set either by Siri or via the home app.

1 Like

I live in Denmark where the HomePod isnā€™t available from anywhere yet.

How do I get my hands on 3 of those babies

Yet! Itā€™s an option in the latest beta though.

2 Likes

Bizarre they are not available in Denmark. Can you get them sent from the German Apple store?

1 Like

Perhaps. But Iā€™m afraid I would have to pay a hefty border toll

1 Like

Same in Norway. The HomePods are not even mentioned on the norwegian Apple Store

They havenā€™t been localised with Siri on HomePod yet in many countries

Siri was then integrated into iPhone 4S at its release in October 2011. The Norwegian (Scandinavian?) version was released on 16.09.2015 with iOS9ā€¦

Letā€™s hope it wonā€™t take Apple 4 years to bring the HomePod mini to Scandinavia this time :smiley:

1 Like

I put HomePod Minis in our master bathroom, master bedroom, and kitchen.

The unit in the master bedroom replaced a Bose Wave Radio, and functions as our alarm clock. As someone else pointed out, you can use the Home App to have it play media at a chosen time via an Automation. I have mine scheduled to play our local NPR station at 6 AM on weekdays for two hours then shut off.

N.B. For those that donā€™t know, Apple struck a deal with radio.com a while ago so that most of the content played on Radio.com will play on Apple devices through Apple Music and Siri. This means that HomePods can effectively replace radios in the home.

The unit in the bathroom is holding up fine in spite of the slightly damp environment. Itā€™s great to tell Siri things that pop into my head while showering or brushing my teeth! This unit has also replaced a battery-powered portable radio that we used while getting ready in the morning.

The unit in the kitchen is used to play music or take commands via Siri. For example, Iā€™ll listen to Rush Limbaugh live through a local AM Station on the HomePod mini while eating lunch during the week. I also especially like being able to add items to my grocery list through Siri as I am cooking. Previously, I used my watch, which was fine but not ideal if your hands were wet or full.

One final comment. In my experience, the HomePod mini is not as loud as the original HomePod, so if you have a large space, such as a big living room, you might want to get the big one.

2 Likes

Thanks! I wrote Apple Support earlier today about using a HomePod Mini in the bathroom and hereā€™s what they said:

Hello there! Weā€™ll do everything we can to help out with your HomePod! It is not recommended to use the HomePod mini or HomePod in a damp environment such as a bathroom, as the HomePod itself could be damaged and there could also be safety concerns if the HomePod is nearby water. More info on this can be seen in the ā€œSupport and safetyā€ section of the HomePod User Guide found here: https://s.apple.com/dm3W6n6H4t

I donā€™t think I can play Danish Radio on either my HomePod or any HomePod Mini as they arenā€™t officially available here and localised in Danish. I could probably have it wake me up in the morning with radio through a shortcut but I canā€™t play radio straight from the device, even with Apple Music subscription I donā€™t think

Germany, Denmark is so smal a German border must be in driving distance. Arghā€¦ forgot about the pandemic for a second hereā€¦

Bought mine in the holidays and just brought it with me to Norway. No problems. I was nervous going through customs at Gardermoen though :sweat_smile:.

Best news I heard! Thank you!

1 Like

@RosemaryOrchard to clarify, I thought the Spotify siri support was limited to iOS devices in the most recent beta. Are you saying, it works on HomePods too? As in, we can select the default music provider as Spotify and Homepod will play from spotify if I ask ā€œhey siri, play jazz musicā€?

I donā€™t use Spotify myself, but with personal requests, itā€™s entirely possible it will work.

According to this German Tech blog and some comments from users who already use 14.5 on their iDevices: no. Apparently, Spotify needs to do some work in order to make that work on HomePods.

1 Like