How are you using Day One these days?

Curious: are people still using Day One or what is the state of it. I believe it was acquired some time ago hence the question. I’m in the market for a possible Day One subscription as I enjoy being able to upload audio to it instead of typing for daily journaling

I had my own blog back in 2013 or so where I reviewed apps and talked about tech. DayOne gave me a license to the app which at the time, was not a subscription app. I believe like others in this thread, I have some version of a grandfathered plan, so I can add photos and use the app regularly.

I’ve been writing in it fairly regularly since 2013 when my kids were small so I’ve been able to document my moods, my goals, family vacations etc. I especially love the “On this Day” widget, as it often shows photos and stories from days gone by.

I’ve dabbled with a few different journals but nothing really stuck. I just try to write daily about my thoughts and track photos that are relevant to the day.

1 Like

Thanks! What about security and especially privacy since it was acquired? I remember something saying it wasn’t up to speed

Maybe the following gives you some informations about the security.

I use it for writing my diary (unfortunately not as regular, as I wanted to) and I am fine with the security they provide so far.

1 Like

I use it for occasional notes about significant events, and thoughts. Been meaning to use it for photos, but haven’t gotten in the habit.

The current owners are Automattic, which operates Wordpress. They seem like they’ll be good custodians for the long term.

2 Likes

I previously wrote about my changing use of Day One here on this forum. In essence:

• Sync proved notoriously unreliable if I edited multiple old entries on my Mac (they either didn’t appear in edited form on my iPad or disappeared completly).
  • Search in Day One was, and continues to be, very poor and ridiculously unsophisticated. That was a significant driver for me to export 17,000+ entries (in markdown format) and import them into DEVONthink. I wrote a little about that here on the forum.

I now make all my daily diary entries in Day One on my Mac, use hashtags for tags (which are automatically converted to DEVONthink tags on import), use frequent cross-references (links to other entries—which I convert to DEVONthink item links on import)…and, above all, enjoy the brilliant DEVONthink search facility which enables me to recall, in seconds, any item from over 50 years of writing a daily diary (now well over 19,000 individual daily entries). :grin:

In summary, Day One is pleasant enough for creating the entries (so long as you don’t use sync) but DEVONthink is streets ahead for actually making use of them.

Stephen

2 Likes