How are you using HomeKit? I'll go first!

Well, turns out that the “Refross” are a cheap version of Meross. Regardless, I cannot get these to pair for the life of me. My gut feeling is that they are struggling with the multiple Eero Pro routers I am using. Regardless, they will likely be going back to Amazon this week. So much for cheap.

Make sure you “Factory reset” them by holding the power button down for until they flash amber/green. Even if they flash like that out of the box, do the reset manually anyway. Then I install them through the Meross app, which asks if they are the HomeKit version, and sends you to HomeKit to finish the install.

Yep, I did that and they still fail. I will play with it some more tomorrow.

I have a thermostat, a lightbulb, and several plugs (Wemo) that all work well with Siri and/or automations, but what I’m really interested in a HomeKit-enabled blinds. I’ve seen a few brands, so far nothing that wasn’t ridiculously expensive or that would work with my 103" (261cm) windows.

@ismh mentions some nice-looking automated shades in his Video: A Tour of my New Studio – 512 Pixels

1 Like

I have three of these in my house and they work very well. Eve have their own app with which you can set temperatures depending on weekday and time; I even use it to turn down the temperature in my study when I (rather: my iPhone) leave the house.
If you can put it on your radiator, it will work. If you’re in Denmark, chances shoube good - check the Eve homepage!
@andreasl

I got two Hue smart plugs. For the coffee maker to work will I need an Hue bridge or hub or something like that for it to work? Or do I just have to plug in the Hue plugs and it will automatically also with Apple HomeKit?

It probably has to be in the On position to work as well right?

Today only (12/31/2021) you can purchase 3 refurb WEMO plugs for $24/US on www.meh.com until they run out. These appear to be the new style plugs and are HomeKit compatible.

1 Like

I think for the Hue plug to show up in HomeKit it would need a Hue hub to work, but I’m not 100% sure. I have one, so not familiar with using Hue devices without one.

And yes, the coffee machine should be in the “on” position to start as soon as it gets power.

I’m just starting to build my own cadre of homekit devices but it is so difficult to find resources (website/blogs/vlogs). On top of that, not every Homekit device is available to purchase in my country. Some work with Homekit but to maximize features, I still need to access their corresponding apps.

Hope you have recommendations that I can check.

this might get you started:

https://shanewhatley.com

The YouTube videos are great, and he deals with alll aspects of homekit

1 Like