How do you manage your music files?

The Music library is good, just not great.

It doesn’t support multiple versions and pulls data from Musicbrainz rather than letting you amend data if it’s wrong.

Does anyone happen to know whether macOS Ventura will finally support automatic sample-rate switching? I might try going all in on Apple Music if they finally enabled sample-rate switching.

This is a great idea, and I do it myself when I’m home (which means, lately, a lot) although I use Pandora. There are times, though, when having music files on your phone is a blessing. Like when there’s no internet. Somewhat surprisingly, there are still many such places.

Yes, so this is why I mark a few of my favorite playlists for “Download” to ensure I have a local copy. This is mostly used on flights and vacations abroad where I’m careful with my roaming data. Not sure if Pandora can give you this option though.

1 Like

Great choice!
I’m a Yate user too. Must admit that I’m only using a small prcentage of the countless options this app has.

How does Yate compare to the Mac version of MP3tag or to other tag editors like Metadatics? I’m always on the hunt for a good tag editor …

AFAIK, MP3Tag is still the best tag editor, and I used it for a while, until the Wine version stopped working. That was YEARS ago. I then I used Metadatics for a while, and I then settled on Yate. I don’t remember why…

I checked out the link. So MP3tag is available for the Mac now? That’s awesome! Even though Yate is more than enough for my needs, I’ll check it out.

Yes! Finally! I used MP3Tag on a windows machine and then on a Mac when I was using Parallels, so I was delighted when the Mac version launched. I’m giving Yate a test drive, and seems less finicky about “invalid files” than either MP3tag or Metadatics, but isn’t as straightforward to use out of the box.

1 Like

I’m a long time Apple Match user, but I’m preparing for if/when Apple shuts it down.

I’m using Apple Music and Picard (they can work together) to organize my music. I do have tracks from friends and local artists&DJs that aren’t in any music database. I have to tag those manually, unfortunately.

I use rsync to copy my library to a network drive that Plex Media Server has access to, and Plex + Plexamp can serve my music files as well.

I use the iOS app ‘Doppler’ to upload and listen to my FLAC music library. Love the app, no complaints whatsoever - give it a rip!

The thread is about managing, not listening.

I love Plexamp as a player, but it has several constraints for those with large music libraries. An inability to sync anymore than 24 hours of a playlist (I have several with hold more than 48 hours). If the same track is in multiple playlists and sync’d to your phone, multiple copies are downloaded, this led to me using at least 50% more storage than it should.

it’s also not possible to search your library when offline, even for those files which are offline and with you.

Wow, I’m so glad you mentioned this. I’ve spent the weekend moving my music library into my Plex server and getting Plexamp set up. It’s working great … but I hadn’t tested it in Airplain mode… So yeah, I can do nothing on the iOS client when off line except view the downloads list in the app. I’m glad I found out now and not while travelling, but back to the drawing board.

I’ve got about 375 gig of music, and I really want to be free of iTunes/Apple Music, as even with my best efforts, it’s forever causing issues with my personal files and library management. I’ve got a lifetime Roon license, but last time I checked Roon Arc was just as limited off line as Plex seems to be.

So, I’m not sure where to go from here. My library is currently in Roon, Plexamp, Apple Music Mac app and Swinsian. My iPod classic happily syncs with Swinsian, but I’ve no idea how to have a serviceable library on my iPhone without using Apple Music (which I want to avoid if I can) Plex was just too good to be true :sleepy:

I use Prism when out and about. I download about 30 playlists to my phone that I like to have available at all times

I use Plexamp at home, but only stream. I don’t download anything to store on my phone

Both work well with Plex, Plexamp is a better user experience visually, but Prism works how I would expect with downloaded media. The way Plexamp has been coded seems lazy to me (at worst) and very unthinkingly (at best)

Seriously, if I have the same track in 4 different playlists I download, how can it be acceptable to download 4 copies. And if offline, who doesn’t want to search…

Prism looks like a good option, will give it a look. Thanks!

1 Like