How do you Study?

There’s definitely something about the process of writing things down physically that seems to hardwire information to a degree. As a brain guy, I guess I’m supposed to have all the answers on why that works, but I don’t :slight_smile: I think the short answer is probably that many senses are being included at once: visual and tactile. There’s probably a bit of inner auditory stuff going on as well as we talk to our inner selves through the process of writing.

When I was re-writing my notes from class, I wasn’t rewriting them word for word, I was compressing them, making them more pinpoint accurate, comparing them with things previously learned and how they fit in together. I still do that process now with learning new things in my new work, constantly testing how things fit together.

A fellow Cisco Eng here. I highly recommend the video @RichardC posted above. It is related to studying medicine, but that doesn’t matter.

The active recall spreadsheet works wonders, especially for Cisco exams I find.

Which certification track are you doing?

Cheers

Steve

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I’m doing the ICND2 Exam later this year. I did ICND1 2 years ago and need to get the full CCNA before the three years are up. Then i’ll be moving on to updating my MCSA from 2012 to 2016.

:slight_smile: