How do you track? To Buy, To Read, To Watch etc

Notion

1 Like

Thanks. This is helpful. Right now I use Reminder lists though I am slowly getting more in-depth with Things so I thought maybe adding those ā€œto readā€ or ā€œto watch listsā€ could helpful, but looks like maybe keeping them seperate is better.

Sofa for recreation stuff, like movies, TV and books. I create a section for the source, i.e. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Apple TV.

Everything else either goes in Instapaper, if it is an Internet article I want to read later, or the Anytime section of Things 3.

Sadly, that was my experience with Pocket too. In the end, I gave up, declared bookmark bankruptcy and moved on.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Todoist for that sort of stuff, as I can put due dates on items to remind me to look at them.

Iā€™m now experimenting with Bear as a way to gather together wish-lists, reading lists, etc.

All this feedback is great. One thing Iā€™m noticing is that many of those that put this type of info into designated ā€œlaterā€ systems such a pocket admit it turns into a ā€œneverā€ bucket.

Part of me agrees with many of you also that having this less ā€œmission criticalā€ information in our task manager is clutter. However given the first point maybe thats why I think it might be best in our task system. It forces us to deal with it, do it (and check it off) or drop it, and to review the lists, even if infrequent. Otherwise if I made a list in Evernote, Bear, Notion, etc I feel like it would turn into a black hole.

Like @shaleco, I use Things 3 as the master list (Read, watch, etc). But I always do four things (not a pun) with each item: 1) task in Things 3 tagged by area of responsibility or project; 2) PDF version in DEVONthink; 3) Note page in Bear - with links to each other in each context. Fourth step done separately. I do all of this using iOS Shortcuts. I always consume media on phone or iPad.

Workflow: 1) ā€œWhat should I read?ā€ Go to ā€œTo Readā€ list in Things 3; filter by the tag that interests me at the moment; click link to PDF. 2) read and highlight with PDF viewer; when complete, export highlights to Bear. 3) Re-read highlights and add annotations/comments then import those notes into Roam (roamresearch.com) - formally DEVONthink.

Basically I go through all this trouble because I refuse to let go of the knowledge I gain when reading, even casually and for pleasure.

I use an iOS app for tracking my wishlist for books, movies, and tv shows. itā€™s a great app which is also free. Itā€™s called Sofa.

2 Likes

Evernote. The web clipper is hands down the best. Everything funnels to the Inbox for sorting into primary folders. I use a series of tags like ā€œwantā€ | ā€œread laterā€ | etcā€¦

1 Like

I think that is a danger for any read it later service. I almost feel like you need to a targeted category (e.g.Paprika) or great self-discipline.

1 Like

Interesting. I just downloaded. Looks promising. A part of me would love to be able to use a share sheet into it but that would take away the simplicity.

I almost think it requires you to just accept the fact you donā€™t have to read everything. If any of my stuff sits in Pocket for more than a couple weeks, I archive it. Simple as that.

1 Like

This is pretty much my system that I made recently. I created project folders in Omnifocus

• Listen
  • Read
  • Watch

And made projects with more granular categories under those
eg Under Watch I have these projects

• Movies
  • TV Shows
  • Youtube Videos

Books are problematic because I want this flow

• Acquire book ( library, physical book store, Online )
  • Read book
  • Document Book in Obsidian( when I read it, any thoughts or notes from it )

For now those are in separate projects, but Iā€™m considering putting them in a sub-project ever even top-level projects. I still need to work that part out.

Iā€™m using Things 3 for this exact purpose, it works quite well.

Iā€™m currently trying to find a book reading tracking app mind you, something that I can ā€œfollowā€ authors or book series (authors would be fine), any new books would be added automatically (API look-up from somewhere ideally) and I would be able to mark them as read.

I currently do this manually in Things.