How do you use Drafts?

I’ve missed something: How do you scan to Drafts?

Here

4 Likes

@Topre beat me to it! I’ve used all three methods mentioned in the linked article and have gotten great results.

@lsieverts If you won’t ignore it, Drafts has great widgets and there is one that shows the inbox count, so you can feel bad about how many notes you’ve not processed yet.

2 Likes

To me it’s a mixture of “unholy junk drawer” (:grinning:), starting point for almost everything and structured notes storage. I aim to give everything that I might want to find again one day a tag.
I have some dedicated tags for collections of notes I take really seriously, like an “in progress” for stuff I actually plan on finishing or collections on specific topics that are important for me. So I might create a Draft where I immediately assign the tag, because that’s definitely something important that needs to be stored correctly.
Than I have Drafts that are supposed to get stored somewhere else. Mainly in Aeon Timeline or Scrivener (mostly for fiction writing and P&P roleplaying). Those just stay in the Inbox until I clear it. I should do that more intentionally, but I usually manage to have less than five items in there.
Sometimes I just keep something I’m working on in the Inbox instead of moving it to “in progress”, just to keep it more visible, which is actually not perfect.
And than there’s the unholy drawer part where I just use it to write something (like this post) and it just stays in the archive.
My intention is to actually assign a tag to everything that’s worth keeping and delete the rest. Sometimes I go to a workspace called “weed through untagged” and either assign tags or delete. But that workspace is far to big to ever get down to zero. Which is not a big deal as I at least tag everything important immediately. There’s stuff like funny aphorisms I posted on Facebook that I don’t really want to delete but that also don’t need to be urgently sorted into a workspace. And sometimes it’s funny to find some years-old answers to a long forgotten online discussion and then decide if I’ll finally delete that or give it a tag.

That’s pretty much why I switched to Drafts from Apple Notes :laughing:

Apple Notes is my junk drawer and Drafts is new enough that I haven’t filled it full of rubbish yet (and so far there’s enough of a psychological nudge of “this is Drafts, if you want to abandon a note go open Apple Notes instead”).

I have to say I’ve been using both today for work on my Mac and I still find it annoying that Apple Notes is no longer its yellow-cream colour. Visually it doesn’t stand out from other apps on my desktop now and it’s irritating. Drafts themes are customisable so it’s another plus in favour of that app because it actually stands out next to the document I’m editing and the Apple Note I have open. (I actually opened up MPU solely to complain about the colour of Apple Notes in this thread as it’s been bothering me all morning!).

1 Like