How do you use Things?

Following this thread!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using Things for five months now on the Mac, iPhone and iPad. I wasnā€™t sure how useful Iā€™d find the app at first but after just weeks of using it I had no doubt. I love things, between it and the apple calendar app I have no need for any other task manager in my life.

One of the most valuable features for me is the recurring tasks. Being able to not actively think about what I have coming up and know that Iā€™ll be reminded is great for clearing out my mental clutter.

In terms of the structure Iā€™ve set up I have an Area for Work, Side Projects, Home/Family and Lists.

The List category is where I put things that I will need to reference regularly but I donā€™t actually check off the items there. For example, I have a list of all the items that need to be in my gym bag, Movies that I want to watch, Books that Iā€™d like to read, A packing list for travel, what Subscription services Iā€™m paying for, Birthday gift ideas ect. I used to keep lists like this in the Notes app but that got way to cluttered and I could never find what I was looking for.

I also create templates for regular tasks and store them in the someday folder. When I need to complete that task I just copy it into the appropriate area.

3 Likes

Quality of life and Things 3

Things and tags ā€” this is more about tags. But Iā€™m using Things 3 to manage them.

My tag list includes values I believe important, helpfulness. And some tags are qualities of life I want to promote like well-being.

If I claim I desire to be helpful. I use Things to sort by that tag. Things sorts facts from fancy. I posted this on my personal site.

So Iā€™m still half way from moving myself from any.do (simple, effective however us challenged task manager) to things.

I need some help in making peace with not having any one view that shows all scheduled tasks, no matter what project they are in. I understand I can see today and up-coming, however one thing Iā€™ve appreciated about any.do is the ability to show for all tasks, or specific list/group, a single view of what is due today, tomorrow, soon and someday. Allowing me to quickly review, and drag and drop tasks between these times.

Thatā€™s pretty standard for task managers, isnā€™t it? Itā€™s im2Do, Things, Omnifocus, Todo (Appigo), Todoist, and others. Or am I misunderstanding something?

1 Like

I like and use Things as well. I switched from OmniFocus after the famous podcast of Viticci. There are two things I miss:

1. Sequential projects: which is fantastic for projects I am waiting for something or someone and do not want to see other tasks until that condition is finished.
  2. Review. I am still looking for a good way to do review in Things 3.

Would you please share how you review your tasks in Things 3? OmniFocus is the king in this field.

I just go from top to bottom on my sidebar which cannot be the most effective way to review tasks.
Any help? :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mateusz

PS. neeldhara, thanks for sharing your workflow! I particularly liked the tag tree. One question though: what do the links in Bear direct you to? Lists in Bear or Things with the specific tags selected?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been doing the OF and Things dance. One of the things I donā€™t like about Things is that tags are not easily available for all categories (e.g. Today, Upcomingā€¦) unless you search for the tag. Tags are more easily accessible on OF via either home made perspectives or the Tag perspective.

However, I tried this on the MacOS version:

• Search for the tag I want.

• Grab the URL scheme by tapping on hamburger button/Share/Copy Link

• Create new Project at top of hierarchy titled ā€œTagsā€

• In the ā€œnotesā€ section of the project, copy and paste the URL scheme.

This copies over perfectly to iOS.

This keeps me in the Things sphere for tonight at least!

Tags

8 Likes

What a fantastic idea! I like Things a lot, but Iā€™d really like to see the ability to add saved searches (especially on tags) to the sidebar.

Iā€™m definitely going to give your solution a try.

This is a great idea. Thank you! I just replicated this on my iPad - really useful.

Does anyone know of a good way to have logged todoā€™s in Things on iOS to appear in a complete entry in Day One at the end of the day?

1 Like

There is a script to log completed Todoist tasks to Day One (utilizing jrnl), so maybe someone in a Things forum knows of something similarā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not convinced such a thing for Things exist :wink:

There isnā€™t a Things forum, just the Things reddit at https://reddit.com/r/thingsapp Itā€™s not super active, but folks are helpful. I have been looking for a way to log Things to DayOne for some time like @andreasl.

Thanks @bowline, this is a start!

1 Like

@dennis thanks. Would you report back if you find one? I only use iOS so Iā€™m guessing the only way is through IFTTT or Zapier

@andreasl over at the Thingsapp reddit, a user came up with a shortcut. You have to select the logbook entries you want and then use the share sheet to get them into DayOne. It works, but there is a couple of taps in iOS to make it work.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, that shortcut just saved me some work every day :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks, Ill give it a spin. But itā€™s probably too many taps to make it worth my wild

1 Like

How do you follow this thread? Sorry, Iā€™m pretty new to the mpu community and canā€™t figure it outā€¦

2 Likes

At the bottom there is a button which says one of:

• Muted
  • Normal
  • Tracking
  • Watching

Muting hides it forever, normal only notifies you when someone mentions you (with @), tracking means it shows up in your unread list, and watching means youā€™ll get a badge, and a notification (if on a supported system) every time someone replies.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum :blush:

1 Like