How often do you reboot your Mac?

mbp15"mid2015: Every 24 hours. The uptime is being showed to me via istats menu “uptime”. Made the best experiences since several years to restart every 24 hours or so. I see it like taking a shower, you do it daily. Also since I have an ssd, restarting is a no-brainer for me - it is all super fast. Sometimes I just resztart before a working session in order to “feel” fresh as well.

Mainframers use the term “Therapeutic IPL”. (IPL = Initial Program Load.)

While we would prescribe a few months as a decent interval I can see most personal machines would benefit from weekly.

If I were actually able to adopt good habits :slight_smile: I would shut down my Mac of a Friday evening, severing work apps. Only to restart it Saturday morning supposedly without said apps.

That might actually re-IPL my brain, too. Maybe therapeutic, but I doubt sufficiently so. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is my kind of issue too. Random Bluetooth / other weirdness with Big Sur, and a reboot seems to help - but usually by the time I know I have an issue I’m on a Zoom call and the reboot is super-inconvenient, even if it would only take a couple of minutes.

2 Likes

Way too often. macOS tends to clutter and choke my measly 256 Gb SSD with junk that gets wiped upon reboot and it drives me crazy. Sometimes I really wish Apple would stop thinking that managing things magically always works. Because it clearly does not, if you don’t have perfect software QA (which they currently don’t), and then the so-called magical solution is actually ten times worse than just a little more friction and control on a daily basis.

2 Likes

It’s getting really on my nerves. With each update I hope they’ve fixed it. But sometimes it slightly improves (it has never been fully fixed sine 11.2.x), and sometimes it gets worse (like after 11.2.3).

Today I had to restart twice. Just unplugging doesn’t do the job anymore.

Still hoping Apple will get their act together with 11.3.

Big Sur may look nice, the quality is so-so. At best.

I’ve seen quite a few local Time Machine snapshots on my Intel MBP lately. As far as I understood, they should only be created when the Mac is offline. However, there are (large) snapshots from times when my Mac was definitely connected to the network.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I did try to thin the snapshots with tmutil, but if this is the cause, the disk space doesn’t seem to be properly flushed anyway without a reboot – at least on my end.
The fact that Apple has sold tiny SSDs for so long on Macs and charged a premium for updates really feels greedy when the OS struggles so much with low space. My 2016 MBP with 2 Tb has no such issues. But boy, was it expensive.

Add me to the “whenever there’s an update” crowd. My 2013 iMac will no longer get OS updates so I can see several months between reboots.

My 2011 MBA, even with a new battery, seems to “leak” electricity. I only use it occasionally so it gets shutdown after each use. Only takes a minute to start.

I only reboot my 2019 16" MacBook Pro for software updates and the like. Once I get an Apple Silicon iMac, I will likely shut down the computer instead of putting it to sleep.

My Mini: only when an update requests it.
My MBP: once in a while. Not regularly. I’d say once a month.

Yep! All the “desktop” computers here are on UPS.

1 Like

And now even a reboot doesn’t bring back wired ethernet.

Driving me nuts.

Every two weeks when I back up using Carbon Copy Cloner. The CCC software is set to shut down the Mac after it completes its backup. I began doing this when the Mac started fighting me over ejecting external USB hard drives.

Only on OS updates, or if I really can’t find another cause for some issue, and then only as a last resort.

Actually, there are reasons to do so, especially in light of overnight hacking attempts that have been taking place with greater frequency since many people started working from home in the past year.

I only reboot if there is a problem with an application or an update that requires it. This is only once in a blue moon, I’d say once a month.

Otherwise I prefer that I get all the benefits of the M1 - i.e. low power mode backups and data updates for apps at night, then everything is up to date and ready when I start work. I also keep my Intel Mac on sleep mode as it is sharing folders for Time Machine, and it is always performing my backups across the network when I’m home.

I’m not the only paranoid person? :see_no_evil:

I would normally reboot my Macbook every fortnight, but I am currently using a borrowed one, which requires rebooting every I use it.