How often do you update your apple products?

I just replaced my Apple Watch 4 with a 9 because the old one was acting up (crazy numbers for activity). Last Spring I replaced my Mac mini I use as a server with a new one. I ran the old one, a 2012 model purchased in 2014, for 9 years. While it ran fine, it would not run the latest OS which was causing problems with applications that needed the latest OS.

I replace my iPhone every three years.

Other Apple gear here (two iMacs, a MacBook Pro, an iPad) are all three years old or more and have no replacement plans. Running an Intel CPU is not yet a problem.

2 Likes

My iPhone is an iPhone XS, purchased 2018. Prior to that, I had a 7 Plus, and I upgraded the following year because I really hated the big phone. My wife is now using the 7 Plus. Every few months I ask her if she wants to upgrade, and she thinks about it a little while and says nah Iā€™m good.

My work MacBook Pro is 2018. I am a bit tempted by the M-series for the weight, battery life and performance, but I hope to get at least another year out of this one. After that, the 2018 MBPs will probably no longer get OS updates, so that might be an incentive to upgrade to a new Mac. Weā€™ll see how the year looks.

I had a Series 1 Apple Watch from 2016 to 2022, when the Series 1 stopped working. I upgraded to Series 7. Iā€™m in no hurry to upgrade now.

The iPad is a different story. I had a basic iPad in 2018, upgraded to a 12.9ā€ iPad Pro in 2020, then decided I hated it and traded it in for an iPad Air in 2021 or 2022. A year ago on an indulgence purchase I bought an iPad mini, thinking I would exchange the mini or the Air when the miniā€™s eval period was up, but instead I kept both.

I feel a little foolish having THREE iPads in the house, but I do use two of them (the mini and the Air) regularly.

I have a first-generation Airpods Pro. Still going strong.

In the 2000s, I was an early adopter, and always wanted the latest and greatest. Now Iā€™m the opposite, and Iā€™m a little proud of that. I use my tech until it wears out, or thereā€™s some hardware feature I need or crave. And itā€™s been a long, long time since thereā€™s been a hardware feature I need or crave.

2 Likes

Macs: Since the mid-2000s Iā€™ve upgraded Mac laptops every 4-5 years. My current one was upgraded after 2 years to the M-series from Intel. (M2 Macbook Air 24GB)

iPhones: Past upgrades at 2-3 years. Current one - 13 Pro.

iPad: Past upgrades at 4, 2, and 3 years. Current one is 5 years old. (2018 12.9" Pro)
Main use if for handwriting with Apple pencil.

Watch: Past upgrades at 3 years. Now have SS Series 5 with recently upgraded battery.

Airpods: in the past upgrades averaged < 2 years. I had trouble with Airpods Pro 1 not fitting well. AP3 had some connectivity issues. Airpods Pro 2 are a better fit for me.

1 Like

I upgrade my Apple stuff on a need-to-do basis. It was only this year that I finally upgraded from my venerable iPhone 5S to an iPhone 14. My old iPad 2 got a little flaky after many years of use so that got replaced by new iPad Air (4th gen) with Magic Keyboard cover and Apple Pencil 2. I upgraded to a MacBookPro M1 when my even older MacBookPro (one of the early Intel-based devices) finally gave up the ghost. When my old Intel-based Mac mini died I switched to using the MBP M1 for a long while until I could afford to get a Mac mini M1 when that was released.

What I do update more often are the operating systems. This past weeked I upgraded to Sonoma (14.1), iOS 17.1, iPadOS 17.1 and WatchOS 10.1. And all that only because I wanted to exploit things like Community Camera,Sidecar, and potentially AirDrop over the Internet.

3 Likes

Infrequently. I try to use things for as long as possible.

Current active line up:

• MacStudio (M1 Max) - daily driver
  • MacBook Air (Early 2014) - travel Mac
  • 2018 iPad Pro (12")
  • 1st generation iPad Air (limited use as TouchPortal device)
  • iPhone XS

Iā€™m also using a 20" Apple Cinema Display and a 23" Apple Cinema Display (both introduced in 2004) connected to the Studio.

Also in occasional use are 2014 and 2018 Mac minis.

2 Likes

Depends on needs and situation. Thus far, Iā€™ve been getting 4 years out of Apple Watches before either the battery health rapidly declines or the latest OS brings the proc to its knees (this means Iā€™ve had a Series 0, then a Series 5, and I just upgraded to an Ultra 2, which Iā€™m hoping will last more than 4 given the battery capacity). Phones, usually 4ā€“5 years before I hand them off to my Dad who uses them for another 4ā€“5 (I went from a 6S+ to an 11, then from the 11 to a 15 Pro Max). Work computers, we max out and I usually get 5 or even 6 years out ofā€”personal laptops vary greatly (sometimes I buy them used), but Iā€™m hoping to get quite a few out of my m1 Air. And I bought my first iPad last year, so I have no data there.

2 Likes

Your husband must have quite the homelab. Why do you use a ā€œDesktopā€ Mac and a Laptop one?

Why change the iPad Pro for the Air? I ask because I plan to do the same.

Thatā€™s precisely what I plan to do. Keep them until they cannot longer be updated or run.

1 Like

Desktop is the main machine for most of my stuff. The laptop is what I carry out to the field when we are doing demos and field testing. So it can mirror my main machine. But in normal use at hime Itā€™s attached to an external monitor and I use it to log into some of the other services/web sites like our deployes software foir web registrations, so I can see what a normal user sees not just me as developer. I also have one case whre I have to log into an external Windows machine and I use the Laptop with MS remote Desktop to do that one task.

1 Like

I expect to get a year for every $1000 that I put into a Mac computer. My Intel 16ā€ Macbook Pro is coming up on its fourth year and is about due for an upgrade. When I upgrade, the old one gets passed on to my wife. Sheā€™s currently using one from 2015.

I hold on to iPhones and iPads until they become unusable. Iā€™m currently using an iPhone X. It is my favorite iPhone that Iā€™ve had. I would happily keep using it, but the battery is dying and is probably not worth getting replaced. I was waiting for USB-C to come to the iPhone, and now that itā€™s here, Iā€™ll probably buy a new one soon.

I bought my iPad in 2018, and it still does mostly what I need it to do. Iā€™d like to have a new one, but canā€™t really justify it right now.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think there is a simple answer. It really depends on whether things work, whether my needs change, how much things cost, and how good i am at ignoring shiny new things :slight_smile:

I have a first generation iPad Pro (2016?) and pencil that are still going strong. I only use them for reading news over breakfast and marking up documents in Goodnotes.

We got iPhone 15s last week. Its my fourth iPhone (4S, 6 or 6S, Xr, 15). So I went 5 years on my Xr.

For many years I was operating with laptop only (and attached monitor at work or home). I replaced my 2010 MBP in 2016. I replaced the 2016 with the M1 MPB when it first came out (2021?). So 5 or 6 years on laptops.

In 2019 I decided that I really wanted to work on a Desktop at home (I only work at home). I was also drawn in by the rave reviews of the 27" 5K iMac. So I got a 2019 27" iMac and I love the machine and continue to use that every day. I plan to get at least 2 more years out of this (or more). If Apple comes out with a 5K iMac in, 2025 or 2026 I will probably be ready (or at least tempted) :slight_smile:

I only upgrade when either a device is not useful or a new device has a feature I cannot live without (which is rare). For phones, this is usually every 5 years, and for Macs and iPads, around 8 years. I often reach the end-of-life for devices (i.e., no more updates). The longest I kept actively using a laptop was 10 years, back when you could upgrade RAM and hard disks!

I donā€™t pay for my upgrades myself, my company foots the bill, but even this doesnā€™t make me want to give away perfectly good devices without a strong reason (I could upgrade as often as I like, as I set the budget).

3 Likes

Our phones we upgrade each year because we got hooked on the Apple Upgrade program and our monthly cost stays almost the same. It makes sense in our case, we own our own business and we have 6 staff on the upgrade program.

I have a 2021 M1 MBP 16" and since I bought the 13" MBA M2 last year, the 16" MBP never leaves my desk. So I decided after the Scary Fast event to upgrade to a Studio for my desk. I probably didnā€™t need to yet, but again, as an expense it makes more sense to buy it this year than wait and see if it gets the M3 next spring.

I bought an Apple Watch Ultra last December and donā€™t plan to upgrade that for at least another year, probably two more years. I am skipping the Ultra 2 and will probably skip the next version too, unless there is some killer feature I feel like I really need/want.

I have a iPad mini that I wonā€™t upgrade unless a new mini comes out. I am still driving a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" and that wonā€™t get upgraded. I might buy an 11" iPad Pro if they get an upgrade next year. But that is yet to be decided.

We have an Apple TV connected to each TV in the house. I rarely upgrade them until the speed or functionality becomes an issue.

My phone and computers get the most frequent upgrades. Everything else waits until there is a compelling use case that a new device provides.

Exactly like me. I am however now my over specced ā€˜once in a lifetimeā€™ 16" macbookpro is needing a new battery the cost of that plus exchange value will nearly pay for an M2 Air at entry level which is all I need. DEVONthink 3 Jim says it will run all I need too.
I am trying to get more minimal. Already when my years old watch dies or wonā€™t update, if the next one wonā€™t take my wrist band, well I will not get one.: maybe not even then. Go back to a GShock or whatever or just the phone which is adequate. I eschewed an iPad altogether but my wife did buy me beats ear phones recently. They are good and last better per charge than the airpods I have which started to get on my nerves for various reasons, though they are technically good I know.

1 Like

There isnā€™t a set frequency for when I upgrade. When the device no longer serves its purpose, I replace it with a different one.

I kept it general since I may switch to another brand of device as opposed to buying another Apple device. I also replace failing parts, usually batteries, when possible , instead of replacing the device.

I could sum my answer up as ā€œWhen I need to.ā€

2 Likes

No set frequency but will depend on the status of the machines and what new features of latest devices I want:

iPhone

2013-2016: iPhone 5s (replacing Sony Xperia)
2016-2018: iPhone SE (longer battery and larger capacity: 64 vs 16)
2018-2022: iPhone X (better camera and full screen which was easier to switch apps)
2022-: iPhone 13 mini (mainly because of the main camera lens issue in iPhone X) and I want to use it till not being supported with newest iOS.

iPad

2011-2013: iPad 2 (first tablet)
2013-2016: iPad Air (retina display)
Between 2016-2018 I found iPad was useless so just left unused (I remembered giving away to my dad)
2017-: iPad Pro 10.5-inch

• Apple Pencil so that I can sketch complicated illustrations: I made use of this device for more than 6 years. Apple Pencil still works. The only thing I can only sketch for two hours with Procreate 300dpi A4 canvas now unless keeping it plugged.

• I will keep using it till unsupported, but will see if I will upgrade to 11-inch iPad Pro.

Mac

2011-2013: iMac (21-inch, my first Mac, gave away to my brother later on because I need MacBook more)
2013-2019: MacBook Air 2012 13-inch (replacing netbook)
2019-: MacBook Air 13-inch (2018 version, because of my bad habit of keeping my 2012 charged

1 Like

Mac: Replaced every 6-7 years as the primary device. Used at home for another 4-5 years.
iPhone: Replaced every 4-5 years. Used at home for another 2 years.
iPad: Replaced once after 5 years. I donā€™t buy them anymore.

1 Like

Interesting how many people seem to drop using the iPad after a few iterations.

2 Likes

I update very, very slowly!

I just upgraded my Apple Watch from a 3 to a 9.

iPhone, went from a 7 to a 13, and expect to keep it about that long (until eol, or nearly so).

I have an M1 MacBook Pro, and also still use my 2018 MBP for a few things (despite the dire keyboard). My 2009 24" iMac works fine, and I use it occasionally for media, and to run an equally old cutting plotter.

I am seriously considering upgrading my 2017 10.5" iPad Pro currently.

Iā€™m a power user, but a very particular kind: Iā€™m more likely to have a shell window and MacVim open than anything else, and to be logged into at least one linux server to do the heavy lifting. I do some modeling on my MacBooks, but mostly theyā€™re for looking at stuff, writing, and managing information, none of which need the latest and greatest.

Still, I could maybe benefit from being a little fasterā€¦

2 Likes