I bought an old 11-inch MacBook Air instead of an iPad, and I love it

I can see that. As I said, “The only exception is if someone wants to write with a stylus.” I probably could have added “or annotate.” It’s not really my thing (I value the Mac’s multitasking, spaces, window management, etc. much more in a writing machine) but everyone’s different and I’m a strong believer in doing whatever works best for you.

No disagreement from me, I just liked what you said about the iPad getting kind of cumbersome with all the accessories. It does, but that’s also (for me at least) why it works so well as a secondary, multi-modal device.

I don’t know that it can be fairly described as a second-class citizen within the Apple lineup anymore, but it rarely excels the way Macs do. Even just feeling like I need extra space to just put my stuff down can be annoying–in the past, I might’ve popped out my laptop to do some work on a 15-20 minute bus ride, but now I leave the iPad in my bag and work from my phone.

This thread has really made me miss my old 2011 MacBook Air. It’s such a sleek device, and it’s easy to forget how elegant the clamshell form factor really is. I just wish macOS worked better on old devices–I booted up my old MBP earlier today and it can hardly handle running Safari before the fans come on. I might try downgrading from Monterey to Catalina and dual-booting, instead of moving completely to Linux.

As for acquiring older Macs, does anyone here have experience purchasing from OWC and shipping outside the United States? Stock on their Canadian store pales in comparison to the American one. (I think there are some other resellers here but I haven’t looked into them closely yet.)

1 Like

If the 11" MacBook had wide appeal why would Apple replace it with the 12 inch model, that ultimately failed? "In 2023, Mac sales accounted for just 7.7 percent of Apple’s total revenue, down from 86 percent in 2000 and the lowest it’s ever been. "

My guess is Apple will continue to concentrate on their best selling models.

The Mac No Longer Plays a Leading Role at Apple

Netbooks in general–which were all the rage in 2010–also dropped off in popularity as phones got bigger and better, and the internet became increasingly optimized for mobile use. Unsurprising that the iPhone Mini became aggressively unpopular as time went on.

1 Like

Might be a small percentage of Apple, but still a large amount, and more than doubled over that time. The real issue is that the iPhone overshadowed everything else.

2000 Revenue: 7.98B
86% of that: 6.86B would be 14.07B in 2023 dollars
2023 Revenue: 383.29B
7.7% of that: 29.49B

1 Like

I have a folding phone stand with a design that lets me slip the back of the base under the clip of a clipboard so I can put it on my lap with a Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard on top. It weighs almost nothing and takes up very little space in a bag. That way I can write almost as fast on my iPhone as I can on a laptop.

1 Like

Fascinating, sounds like novel material for Homescreens & Office Setups

1 Like