I feel like Apple is Ripping Me Off

I use Apple Music, Apple TV+ and the storage for me and my wife. Storage for photos only will not work for us. I have a lot of Pages and Numbers documents. I never use Fitness+ or Arcade. I use News only because it is part of the package.

Perhaps I’m confused about the options. I want Music and AppleTV+, and I need a minimum of 1TB storage for documents, photos, and email. Is there a plan that will give that to me for less?

Ideally, what I want is this:

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.50.26 AM

That would save me $360/year by eliminating Arcade, Fitness, and News. :slightly_smiling_face:

I suppose one option is to buy music instead of streaming and eliminating Apple TV+. That way, all I’d need would be the storage plan.

Anyone here purchase instead of streaming their music?

I want to know too!

Well, for starters you’re comparing an Office oriented set of services/apps with storage to a very different offering from Apple. Fitness+, News+, Music, etc is quite a bit different.

That said I agree that the Microsoft offering is a bargain. And I do wish Apple offered a 500GB tier of storage. I’ve been well served with the 250GB tier, using around 200GB. If Apple offered 500GB I’d be a bit more free to store more and do less pruning. Not sure that’s a good thing. But, in any case, I do think they are missing by not providing another tier in that gap.

I pay iCloud and Apple Music full time. I sub into AppleTV+ 4-6 months a year to watch shows then cancel for awhile to watch content on other services. In general I find that it works well to focus on a service for a month or so binging the shows I want to watch and then moving on. So easy to subscribe and cancel!

2 Likes

On a Mac, edit the /etc/hosts file and add the lines:

127.0.0.1       news.iadsdk.apple.com
127.0.0.1       iadcontent.apple.com
127.0.0.1       iadsdk.apple.com

I don’t know how it can be done in iOS.

3 Likes

No, I don’t need the additional stuff. I’d be fine with a 1-2TB storage plus Apple Music plan and reduce the cost, but alas, I don’t such an option. I can do without everything else. However, I do enjoy music but I can’t find a good way to:

1. Buy music from Apple
  2. Easily stream purchased music to all of my HomePods and in my car. I know this must be possible but it sure isn’t obvious.

For example, how would one purchase this?

We have a thread discussing that, link below. Not that Apple Music is a bad deal, it’s actually pretty good (my problem with it is the apps). Purchasing music means more time managing it, so unless that is something you want to get into, it’s probably not worth it in this day and age.

You should be able to get iCloud Storage and Apple Music separately, an Apple Music family plan is 16,99€/month.

So that would be a total of 27€-ish per month, which is possibly cheaper than your current Apple One subscription (not so sure about exchange rates, sorry about the currency conversion!).

Apple still has a music store. You buy it and let Music (the app) handle it jus like in the olden days. It will stream and play every where like usual. You would have to download it to your devices though. (Its been so long since I did that, I am not sure how it works anymore. :neutral_face:)

1 Like

You young whippersnappers, you! In the old days, we had to buy CDs and rip’em ourselves! :rofl:

4 Likes

Just paid 2TB iCloud and Apple Music separately. You can’t simply compare Apple to Microsoft because the equivalent Pages, Numbers and Keynotes are already free. For Microsoft, even if you don’t need cloud sync and storage you still need to pay for 1TB.

But if you think Word, Excel and Powerpoint are more essential than Apple suites then you just need to pay OneDrive.

If only you knew! :grinning:

No, Apple’s pricing for any form of storage (iphone storage, Mac storage and iCloud storage) is far too expensive, especially with the recent increases of £24 a year (over 28%) as it’s now £107.88 a year for 2TB of iCloud storage.

2 Likes

How about taping the vinyl to a reel to reel?

NextDNS. There’s even a couple posts on this forum about it.

They are…it stinks really.

With Apple I have the following…

$9.99/month - iCloud+ 2TB (already using a little of over 1TB)
$10.99/month - Apple Music Individual (we have a Spotify Family account)
$6.99/month - Apple Arcade

Total monthly $27.97

If I were to switch to Apple One for my wife and I…to get the same storage, it would bump us up to $37.95/month, but I would get stuff that I don’t use (Fitness+, News+, TV+)

1 Like

Was that a thing? When I was just a kid, my Dad had a big Wollensak reel-to-reel tape recorder for something he did for work. But we never taped from vinyl. We listened to our records on phonographs, like animals. :slightly_smiling_face:

I taped vinyl to reel-to-reel as a teen back in the 60’s so I wouldn’t wear out the records.

2 Likes

My folks did that to slow speed reel to reel (7.5 ips) so they could fit more albums to a tape. lots of easy listening music in the background.

1 Like

After looking at the pricing plans again, I would say, no, you’re not being ripped off.

2TB for $120/year that’s family sharable looks fine compared to 1TB for $60/year that’s not shareable, or $100/year that is shareable.

The extra things you’re buying in Apple One are entertainment services Microsoft doesn’t offer.

The Office Suite is a loss leader thrown in by Microsoft to match Apple’s and Google’s free offerings of their consumer office suites. Microsoft would like you to think that’s worth something because they charged a lot for Office when they didn’t have competitors, but the value is subjective.

6 Likes

Yes, it was a thing. I had an Akai reel to reel before moving onto a dual cassette player.