I just don’t get Launchbar. It drives me crazy. Someone please explain its greatness

The one thing that always makes me come back to Alfred is that I can setup “File/Folder Search” workflows so that I can do things like “home [search term]” and it will list all files/folders in locations related to “Home”. I haven’t found a workflow that works as seamlessly as Alfred.

But every few months I jump back to LaunchBar and try to make it work. :grinning: I may give more specific abbreviations to things, but I wish there was a better way to search through files directly in LaunchBar.

1 Like

You can drink Coke and Pepsi. It’s okay.

3 Likes

Ha, yea. But I want a golden goose and I want it now! :rofl::crazy_face:

mugato_crazypills
One of my favorite movies.

So, I’ve been happily using Launchbar for years. A few days ago I learned that I can utilize Alfred as a spell checker. That was reason enough for me to download the free demo. The spell checker is cool, but most of the features I’m looking for – that I do daily with launchbar – require the powerpack upgrade. Does anyone know if there is a way to add spelling capability to launchbar? From where I sit, it would be great it I could add that and then I would happily stay with launchbar.

Not sure how your study is going, but I have another great LB resource for you. If you have not come across it yet, there is a Take Control of LaunchBar book that is excellent. You can find it here.

Yes! That’s a must-have book in my opinion for anyone wanting to take the full advantage of LaunchBar.

Instant Send alone is worth the price.

https://www.obdev.at/resources/launchbar/help/InstantSend.html

Select anything (text, file, folder, whatever), press Alt, it goes to LaunchBar, then act on it (send to CloudApp, copy, anything you want to do with it).

2 Likes

Agree with the previous post. Instant send is the crucial feature for me. I get lot of documents and files sent to me, and I need the ability to sort them and file them quickly. All I need to do is select one, double tap the command key to bring up instant send, and I can immediately file a new appropriate folder. This feature alone is worth more than the cost of admission.

1 Like

I’m having troubles with LaunchBar instant send…
With a desktop file selected (I really mainly use this for cleaning up the desktop) I hit double-option and nothing happens. Like I didn’t press anything. No launcher appears to select the destination. Double command/control/fn also won’t work.

Permissions thing with Big Sur 11.5.2 ?
LB is set to have folder file access ✓; monitor keyboard input ✓; accessibility ✓; automation ✓

otherwise seems everything I use it for is working

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
S

Great way to learn about LB

1 Like

Instant send was the killer feature that I missed when I switched to Alfred. But, with Alfred’s Universal Actions,I can get that feature back again. I still prefer Launchbar’s folder navigation, but workflows for Alfred are easier to create and now that I am older, I appreciate an app that waits for me to finish typing.

1 Like

Regarding folder navigation, I haven found a way to navigate files in Alfred as seamlessly as in LN. like you can type a folder and see it’s files, but cannot navigate to the subfolders, is it possible in Alfred?

If I understand what you’re asking, yes. In Alfred, after searching for a folder, hit right arrow to show the contents, up and down arrows to navigate to the desired subfolder, and right arrow again to enter that subfolder.

1 Like

Quicksilver is still an instant install on all my Macs.
It’s been a diehard old friend for a veyr long time and still does exactly what I want it to do.

• Alfred’s UI is too large for me, even after adjusting the look.
  • Launchbar is very cool but it has more options than I need personally.