I Need To Make A ‘How To Video’ For Staff

I am setting up new custom software for a client. This software is cloud based, so they will be accessing it from a IPad AND a Windows 10 desktop. The software has less features on the iPad versus the PC, so I need to make two different ‘How To’ videos capturing my actions on screen on the iPad, and then a different video walking them through the different view on the PC. I would like to be able to have some kind of a marker on the screen, in addition to the mouse pointer, to show them exactly where I am clicking. Any recommendations on how to do this without dropping a ton of money for a special app? I have a iPhone XR and a IPad Pro to work with. And of course, the Windows 10 desktop if all else fails. Not a Windows fan anymore. :flushed::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

I’m personally a Screenflow user and find it to be very useful for this kind of thing. If you’re a SetApp subscriber you could use Capto. Of course, iMovie can edit videos too.

1 Like

I definitely second Screenflow. It it definitely worth the investment if you’re going to have to make multiple screencasts.

Capto also works, I use it for quicker projects.

1 Like

Thanks y’all! I will research them tonight. :tada::tada::+1:t2:

If you also have a Mac, you can also use Quicktime to record both Mac and iPad. It can show mouse clicks, with the only potential problem being that it also shows the cursor when using the iPad, so it looks less pro. Free though.

3 Likes

Another vote for ScreenFlow. I’ve been using it for many years and continue to be impressed.

It’s worth noting that Telestream (the makers of ScreenFlow) have an end-of-year sale going on the moment…so this is a great time to purchase. More info here:

https://marketing.telestream.net/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/5268/p/p-01c0/t/page/fm/0

-1 because this post may make me spend money. I have Screenflow v4. I have had very limited need to record my screen although I’ve always thought that it would be a lot easier to help people.

When I have to do something simple (no screen recording), I use iMovie but pretty much hate using it every time I open it up. I used to be proficient in FCP7 but I don’t use that anymore and I have almost no access to Premiere except in a severe pinch.

With the upgrade discount, I can get v8 for less than $50.

Do people like using Screenflow strictly as an editor vs something like iMovie?

1 Like

After reviewing the recommendations, I think that I am gonna go the cheaper route and stick with iMovie. My videos surly will not be neat and professional, but I think that I can ‘make do’ with what I have.