I’ve had it with Auto-Correction - I think

‘Ah, I understand.’

I can’t actually remember the last time I tried to use a proper single-quote!

1 Like

Sometimes British English will use them. They’re also handy of you need to ‘highlight’ or quote something within another quote.

Sadly, we’ve been so used to speaking/writing in Taglish (Tagalog and English) that majority of people only knows the English equivalent of a word hence the normalization of mixing languages. This is due to a long history of downplaying our language and culture by our Spanish (300 years) and American (50 years) colonizers. English became the superior language for education. But hey, tourist won’t have a problem coming here since majority can speak or understand English!

1 Like

That is interesting! I recently had occasion to meet some Filipino people and they were telling me that there is a lot of Spanish in Tagalog. I only knew that there were a lot of Spanish last names as I really did not know anyone from your country.

I think there is a difference between groping for a word and just getting tired and speaking Spanglish wherein the language is sometimes almost indecipherable for someone like me although I am fluent in both languages. I learned Spanish formally.

I use to tell my third grade bilingual kids “Speak English or speak Spanish. Pick one. Either one is fine with me. Just please don’t give me Spanglish!” And they rarely did. Groping for a word was fine.

But your country’s situation is different as it is so dependent on your history.

1 Like

I lived in the Philippines, Clark Air Force Base, for three years. I have very fond memories of my time there.

1 Like

Lol I’m going to use this against cool kids since they speak primarily in Taglish.

The language that I can speak which is Tagalog has about 4,000 loaned Spanish words. If you visit the group of islands down south (Visayas), they speak Bisaya that has 6,000 Spanish loaned words. Go further South in the group of islands called Mindanao there is a province called Zamboanga that speaks in Spanish. They call it Chavacano.

Since we have about 160 languages, and most don’t want to yield to the National language, English became the bridge.

In the late 19th century, it’s common to hear a local dialect spoken mixed with Spanish. We were also mandated to change our last names to Spanish. It was alphabetical by region.

1 Like

I used to go around that area once a year. Either for a conference or as a stop to our next destination going to Zambales.

I dated a filipina some years ago and that was the first thing I noticed about her speaking: it had a very Spanish sound and cadence in many cases. As I met others, the same thing. Interesting to know why now :slight_smile:

I also have a family member, by marriage, who literally lived “in the jungles of the Philippines” (as we think of it - haha!); a small mountain village.

2 Likes

A famous historian summed it up as “Three hundred years in a convent and fifty years in Hollywood”.

LOL! My SO and I dreamed of building a traditional house in a small mountain village as well.

Unfortunately, the eruption took the base out.

Haha! Nice.

And just to share “how remote”

:open_mouth: :slight_smile:

I believe he spoke Isnag.

1 Like

The Mount Pinatubo eruption. Took decades to clear out the lahar. Scary times.

1 Like

Oh wow, yes that is mostly mountain ranges. I’ve never been to that area and don’t know anything interesting there.

Spooky! Just before I saw this I just uninstalled Ulysses, the red underlines in every note re-appeared, it seems to be to do with Apple autocorrect, I have the settings turned off but the lines are still there. I often have non english words, names and placenames in my notes. I am tired of messing with Ulysses anyway, which worked fine and they are adding stuff I don’t need but which I need to ‘control’. Can’t be bothered, I am now over tied to DEVONthink 3 though…
I find this feature on OS over helpful and intrusive. I get the same really on ios.

:thinking:
Can you clarify this?

Pages does that too. It’s enough to drive you bonkers. Although after a while, I think the red underlining goes away although I am NOT sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the history lesson! That’s a more interesting aspect of linguistics. I’ve often wondered about the Filipino language(s).

I wonder why they didn’t go for standardization of Spanish instead of English. But if tourism is a big industry I’d hazard to guess there are more English-speaking people visiting the Philippines for pleasure.

kinda long story, but to simplify it, the Friars preferred to keep education reserved for religion (Christianity), and to learn their language means that we can revolt against their authority. It was against the Law of Indies that dictates that all Spanish colonies must learn the Castillian language. By the early 1900s, only a few Filipinos can speak Spanish.

1 Like

I use it for EVERYTHING now, note taking most recently since Ulysses kept adding features which I have to learn, even to avoid them. The red lines were the last straw, I couldn’t be bothered. I had Drafts but couldn’t get spotlight to index them as it is supposed to do if you check a box.

So what I mean is, if DEVONthink 3 broke or went out of business or apple broke it some way I would have to totally re-do all my workflows and systems. And I can get a bit nervous about that since Launchbar broke for me…
Even some stuff I don’t keep there is indexed and I get at it through DEVONthink 3 now.

Very interesting, wired!

1 Like