I wish I could delete Music

I am really fed up of randomly seeing Music open in my Dock on my Mac. I really wish I could delete it.

Why is it randomly showing up? Anyone got any idea?

Is it set to automatically open on startup?

I donā€™t think so. I did check (I think) and I canā€™t see it.

2 tips for anyone having this issue.

System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items. If you see iTunes there, click it and select the ā€œ- button.ā€ This doesnā€™t apply to iTunes Helper however. Leave it thereā€¦

Restart the computerā€¦ when the little window comes up asking about Restart, make sure the check box that asks about reopening all Apps is unchecked. Then restart and see if iTunes opens.

4 Likes

Guesses:

1. If you press (even accidentally) any of the ā€˜media keysā€™ (play/pause FF, Rewind) it might start
  2. If you plug in an iOS device, it might start
  3. If you open a media file that is set to ā€œOpen withā€ iTunes, it will start

If none of those are true, when I donā€™t know why it is happening.

Heh. You could upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur, they will take care of deleting iTunes for youā€¦

:wink:

Iā€™m using Bug Sur. I guess that joke may have gone over my head.

There is no iTunes in Big Surā€¦ I guess you are talking about the music app.

YESā€¦ Sorry. You are quite right. I am!

Now wondering if that changes anything in this advice.

It is because you have audio files set to open with the Music app? I noticed that by default this is the association in MacOS. You can change it to Quicktime which is not such a beefy program.

1 Like

I have felt this way since the 90sā€¦ :smiley:

I too wish I could delete music. Disco and Rap come to mind.

1 Like

Where do I go to change that? Iā€™d almost prefer to use VLC than Quicktime too.

What? Why VLC or why change it from Music?

Why VLC, because itā€™s my default for when watching media. And the Music app is redundant for me. I listen to Spotify as standard and rarely listen to music on the MacBook. Iā€™d have no issue seeing that happen in VLC if I had a choice.

You need to right click on an audio file, and select Get Info. Then in open with choose the application you want to associate, and click the Change All button.

1 Like

Just to illustrate, in case anyone isnā€™t familiar.

Once you have selected an .mp3 or other audio file in Finder, open ā€œGet Infoā€ (either by āŒ˜I or File Ā» Get Info)

1. Then go to Open With

2. Select the app you want to use (VLC, in this case)

3. Select ā€œChange Allā€¦ā€

as shown here:

3 Likes