iCloud can’t be trusted. Apple Backup files are unusable

I use iCloud for sync between devices and remote file access, and then use Backblaze for backup. All devices sync to iCloud and the computer. On the computer, I work from the 2tb internal storage and a 4tb external ssd, and then have a 14tb external drive for local backups. Backblaze backs up the 2tb, 4tb, and 14tb drive, which is roughly a total of 9tb used. I’ve used this setup for a few years, and haven’t had any issues.

I actually have no reason not to trust iCloud as it’s never given me any issues, but I’ve read enough to be wary, and don’t really think of it as a backup solution. With Backblaze, I can also backup the full 9tb (and growing) that I’ve accumulated, where that would get expensive if I tried to back it up with iCloud- I’ve got over 3tb just between Lightroom and Final Cut which neither really needs to sync to iCloud. I’m also not sure if iCloud has any kind of version control feature outside of Time Machine backups.

4 Likes

So, I’m guessing you didn’t just get your first Mac for Christmas. :grinning:

Welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

This is almost exactly the setup that I use too :slight_smile:

1 Like

@WayneG

Any suggestions for merging and de-duplicating.

I have chronosync , GoodSync and pathfinder.

I just found out that if you export files from DEVONthink to a folder that already has files in it, instead of overwriting them it will just put a 1.PDF at the end.

I could just delete all the 1. PDF files on my computer, but sometimes the root file does not exist. Rare but scary.

One way I’ve tried to get around this is to use Renamer her to get rid of the 1. PDF at the end and it will come back saying there’s already a file with that name. Do you want me to overwrite and say yes

One of these days, I’m going to have to sit down with Hazel and turn it loose on my computer.

Definitely YES. CloudKit databases for apps is rock solid, depending on the implementation by the developer; iCloud Drive is unreliable (in MY personal experience).

2 Likes

First, I get the thing about being demoralized. I’ve experienced that feeling with Apple technology at various times. It can be so hard to be an Apple advocate when something happens that shouldn’t. (Like the time I ordered a new PowerBook 5300cs [I’m dating myself here] and it arrived DOA.) One of the things I have to remind myself of is that even iCloud drive is complicated. Apple has to figure out how to get files from your Mac to one of its servers (and then propagate it to all the other server farms where your data lives) or to all of its servers simultaneously. And then get the files to your other devices. I can’t imagine the coding needed to pull something off like that. The more complicated the code, the more opportunites for bugs.

But why does Apple have such a hard time with it whereas Dropbox doesn’t? I don’t know. Maybe because Dropbox is just trying to do one thing (file sync) really well as opposed to many things? I kind of doubt it since other companies (Microsoft, Google) are doing more than just file sync.

Maybe for the vast majority of people in the Apple world iCloud drive works just fine. Some of us here tend to be more demanding in terms of our usage and expectations. Still, it’s damn frustrating when you’re the one who discovers there’s a problem and Apple tech folks can’t figure out a solution. It sucks, actually.

Anyway, as with all technology there’s no perfect solution. Hard drives at home/office fail. Cloud services can let us down. All we can do is have multiple layers of backups so that when the hard drive and cloud service decide to fail at the same time we’ve got another source for our data.

I probably haven’t added much to this discussion, but I wanted to lend some moral support to the demoralized out there, and saying “I feel your pain” alone feels inadequate.

Hang in there!

1 Like

The worst part is that you can’t simply use a different cloud provider on iOS and iPadOS devices. They’re all at best second class citizens because of Apple’s restrictions. Maybe the antitrust actions in the EU and US will eventually improve this.

2 Likes

I use Dropbox and Google Drive, routinely and often in EU, with no problems noticed. And yes, I do find Apple’s sync services unreliable compared to my expectations.

1 Like

But unlike iCloud and its folders, I bet you can’t pin them or their folders in the in-app file managers of iOS and iPadOS apps like iA Writer that save files in system folders. You can navigate to individual files in them and open and edit them one at a time with Apple’s “open in place” feature, but it’s slow and buggy.

And I bet you can’t use them with iOS and iPadOS apps like Obsidian and Logseq that require you to designate a specific folder to store your files in.

1 Like