iCloud Drive. still has problems

I had it on for all devices but since have turned it off on each of them, I was trying to get organized and around a large number of files around when my documents folder got deleted. I did not expect The advice by Apple 2nd Level support to turn off documents and desktop to have any effect but it fixed the -35 error.

Hey - I also still have this problem all the time. it gets stuck every other day it seems. I feel like Apple a blind to this issue. I use I cloud for work - one machine - with a reasonable folder structure. nothing to crazy, but a little deep. What do you think causes it?

Poor design. Best people working elsewhere in the company. Support people have no idea how to handle (politely) technical issues–they probably see the same bad things but their complaints are probably ignored. Low priority. Customers care more about other things. (can add more to the list, but will stop here).

1 Like

Thats a real shame. I cant see how its low priority. But then. I guess something in my use of it is not the behaviour they plan for / worry about. I have a programme (Vectorworks) that regularly makes a copy of a file while using it a sort of back up. It adds a long string of letters after the filename. I am going to stop saving this to i cloud to see if that helps (it usually autosaves next to the file in place) . This feels like my last throw of the dice as I have no other ideas.

I meant low priority for Apple. Remember they run their operation as a profit making business and my hunch is that on a priority basis they don’t see lost profits due to unreliability of iCloud. Who knows if that’s correct or not? They probably know a whole lot more about this that we mere mortals do.

Frankly, iCloud has been unreliable for months if not years–especially for saving your own files. Noticed by so many people. My best advice is only use iCloud if you really have to. Ok to “expect” it to work, but don’t “anticipate” it will, e.g. separate “expectations” from “anticipations”.

Your use seems to be to use iCloud storage for backup. I’d recommend you not use iCloud for backup purposes simply becuase it’s not a good backup. If the files get corrupted/deleted/etc. on your Mac and/or iCloud, the next successful (!) sync will replicate that flaw.

I store all backups to folders on local machine, and then my system backups involving TimeMachine, Carbon Cloner Copy, Chronosync, and Backblaze creates secure backups.

1 Like

Photos on my phone is currently stuck, and won’t upload to the cloud. It kind of coincided with my removing Documents & Desktop from iCloud, but I don’t know if there isS as causal relationship.