If you use Zoom and an M1 Mac…

…note that the M1 version is a completely separate download.

The regular download URL for Zoom is
https://zoom.us/client/latest/Zoom.pkg

but if you have an M1 Mac you have to use
https://zoom.us/client/latest/Zoom.pkg?archType=arm64

8 Likes

You can also update to the latest Intel version, then click Check for Updates… again and it’ll switch you to the M1 version. A bit weird.

1 Like

Gross.    

But dang is it faster!

I haven’t had a chance to use it. What have you used that is faster?

faster than zoom run through Rosetta

It isn’t a Universal 2 program? :cry:

Not at the moment. I’m hoping that they might combine them in the future, but decided to release the initial one separately in case there are issues, they can release an ARM-specific one without having to update everyone who is using Intel.

Time will tell, I guess.

Check “ZoomAudioDevice.driver”

I had originally installed the Intel version of Zoom and then switched to the M1 version.

Today I realized that /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ZoomAudioDevice.driver was still the Intel version.

I deleted that, re-ran Zoom, did a screen share with audio, and Zoom prompted me to install its driver (which I did). Now I have the arm64 version of /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ZoomAudioDevice.driver.

How to check

If you aren’t sure which version you have, run this command in Terminal:

file /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ZoomAudioDevice.driver/Contents/MacOS/ZoomAudioDevice

and see if it says

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ZoomAudioDevice.driver/Contents/MacOS/ZoomAudioDevice: Mach-O 64-bit bundle arm64

then you have the Apple Silicon version.

Note! See below

See my followup comment below which clarifies why you might not have this file, even if you use Zoom.

If you don’t have it, don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Good to know.

Why can’t they make this auto detect, like they do with Windows vs Mac?

If you ask me, Zoom’s Mac developers are terrible. With so many of the choices they’ve made, I get the feeling that they don’t really know much about the Mac as a platform, and end up using Windows developers who do a bit of Googling to figure out how to do things on the Mac.

To find out that their Mac developers are knowledgeable would be even worse, because they make some terrible decisions and awful choices.

3 Likes

Huh, I checked, and didn’t have any Zoom drivers in the HAL subfolder. Just an ACE one (from SoundSource, I think).

I should have made this clearer before, but you may not have ZoomAudioDevice.driver on your system.

I think it is only installed if you use screen sharing with audio via Zoom. For example, if you showed a video with sound on your computer and then shared the video and sound via Zoom. I am 99% sure that’s when you would get prompted to install this in the first place.

1 Like