If you were independently wealthy and had exemplar programming and design skills

I would build an all encompassing life planning and goal setting app

1 Like

What would it do? (20 chars)

A multi-user photos app so a family could have a single photo store. Would allow 3rd party editing apps.

1 Like

Create a free Google account to use Google Photos for pooled uploaded images, then share the password amongst family members (you trust). They can edit with online tools, or download to whatever platform they’re on to edit and re-upload as a separate image, unless they delete the original - which is why you need to trust them.

I prefer that Google not have access to all my photos. Their privacy policies are lacking. Also would like separate users so there can be private libraries in addition to the shared space. Using Google this way isn’t much different than using Apple Photos with a single AppleID.

1 Like

Private libraries would be in your personal Google account.

Except for Google’s online photo editing, and superior sharing, and the difficulty in having multiple Apple IDs on mobile, and iCloud wanting to put all your photos on all your devices when Google doesn’t. But other than that, it’s it isn’t much different at all. :wink:

If as per the OP’s question you want to spend untold dollars to build this competitor to Google’s free offering be my guest. :laughing:

I would do two things:

A) I’d just continue working on my plain-text focussed app for reading/annotation & personal knowledge management – but I’d work on it full time, make it open source, and strive to assemble a team so that there’d be cross-platform versions (web, and native mobile/desktop versions) from the beginning.

B) More interestingly perhaps and thinking a bit bigger, I’d try to build an organization which would strive to transform the academic citation habits (yes, I know, but one can dream…) so that we’d stop citing entire publications but instead:

1. cite the actual sentence/statement within that paper/book
  2. always state the reason why the statement was cited

And this should all be done in a way that’s both human- and machine-readable.

IMO, being able to cite (i.e. link) to the bullet-point level and to specify why we’re actually citing/linking it, all in a parseable manner, will facilitate the next revolution in academics. Of course, other disciplines could also benefit from this.

3 Likes

If I were wealthy enough, I’d build apps and websites for charities and offer my time for free. In fact, I do this for non-profits and research groups associated with the university where I work already, even though I’m not super-wealthy!

1 Like

I would hire enough programmers and UI designers to fully finish my LambTracker system and build it out to my internal vision of what I want.

My own programming skills and time are being sorely tested just getting the next puzzle piece programmed.

I would expand it with a related app to track and document breeding of rare poultry, chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. Bird breeding si enough different from other livestock that LambTracker would need a different database

Ugh, yes! My own discipline most commonly uses citation styles that require a page number (if there is one) for in-text citations, fortunately.

It drives me absolutely bonkers when I read something in another citation style that doesn’t require it. What if I want to check the passage the author’s referring to in order to improve my understanding of the argument they’re making?

The page number(s) help me follow — and, if I’m writing something myself, participate in — the larger conversation. Which is precisely what I try to teach my students citation is for. It’s not only for giving appropriate credit to others for their ideas, important as that is.

1 Like

Yes, the citation style is definitely discipline-specific.

Like in Arts and Humanities, in-text quotation and block quotation are quite common and require writer to add page number besides author-date.

If you don’t directly quote other author’s original text, but instead paraphrase it, author and year will be fine, unless you think the original text might be of interest to the imagined readers.

FYI you might be interested in the Cite This For Me: Web Citer Chromium-browser extension - on any web page it can generate a correctly formatted citation in your choice of APA, MLA, Chicago, or Harvard referencing styles.

2 Likes

Exactly. I’m in Political Science, but in a subfield that’s really more akin to the Humanities than to many of the other Social Sciences. I always include a page number unless I’m making a very broad reference to the entire work.

Thanks for the info. Since citing a website like newspaper is rather rare in my area, this extension would not help me a lot. LOL. I usually use Zotero Chrome extension to cite those papers without specifying DOI. Btw, Zotero extension can also recognize video, newspaper, etc., and generate references.

2 Likes

Marked may help you with that.

I had the very same thought when reading the question. I would find a way to code in a reliable way for EverRoamThinkKasten (great name!) to index all of my office’s Box drive with all the various folders for reference/finding in ERTK. DT will do a folder, but the entire effort to index all the files (in excess of 160,000) in Box leads to a spinning beach ball and ultimate sad death of the process.

1 Like

Oooh ERTK works great as an acronym!
Okay, deal. Now all that we need is independent wealth and exemplary programming skills… :grin:

1 Like

May I humbly suggest a slight name modification to improve the acronym? EverRoamKastenThink gives you ERKT (pronounced like “irked”).

3 Likes

Build it and I’ll buy it!