I'm a reluctant Windows user now

I remember Windows Bob.

1 Like

OK, why do you use SwitchBot? Why not just press the button on the HDMI switch? How does the SwitchBot make switching easier in this instance?

I ordered an HDM switch and dongles from Amazon. They arrive in two batches, today and tomorrow. The way I figure it, I need a MiniDisplay to HDMI adapter for the display, then an HDMI-to-USB-C adapter for the MacBook Pro. I’m pretty sure that’s right. I’m less sure that I ordered the right gozintas and gozouttas.

In other news: I checked with IT on installing third-party software. I need to apply for their permission in each instance.

In past jobs, in similar situations, I’ve simply gone ahead and installed the software anyway but (1) the system may be locked down–I haven’t checked and (2) I’m being a good corporate citizen this time around. I know too many former colleagues who have spent years struggling with crappy jobs because the job market dried up in my field; I don’t want to take unnecessary chances.

So I won’t be installing Obsidian–or any other third-party software–on this machine.

OK, now it’s time for me to get back to work–just gotta unplug the display from the MacBook Pro, plug it into the Lenovo, throw the switch on the keyboard, swap the Magic Trackpad for the trackball, and I’m good to go!

1 Like

That’s why. … 20 …

Ah. I missed that. Thanks!

1 Like

Also, OneNote has “back linking” well, occasionally it does … :joy:
Very handy … when it works!

1 Like

I figured as much. :slight_smile:

I have two SwitchBots, the second I use to turn on a 2018 Mac mini I run headless. And the SwitchBot iOS/PadOS app runs on Si Macs. Handy little gadgets.

Good luck with the HDMI with and the dongles.

1 Like

Greenshot for Windows (last I looked there wasn’t a Mac version but now there is!):

• Just the regular Print Screen key starts capture and then you choose the capture mode.
  • Once captured, you’re asked what you want to do with it.
    • Copy to clipboard
    • Save to default location
    • Save to any location
    • Open in editor - I find this way easier than Markup, and it is always available.
  • Shift-Print Screen captures the same region as last time
  • You can also ‘capture from clipboard’ which is incredibly useful when you forget something you meant to mark up and have closed the editor already.
  • More features that I tend not to use.

There are probably other features that differ, but in general, using both regularly, I prefer Greenshot over macOS native.

4 Likes

Hmmm, maybe I had come across the Mac version of Greenshot. I suspect it’s squatting on the name.

1 Like

I’m back to using the Mac’s native screenshot feature SHIFT+CMD+4. It offers a choice of actions and captures images that are nice looking but noticeably smaller than the ScreenFloat app that I was using.

2 Likes

I have not discovered that. And googling isn’t helping.

How do I use back links in OneNote? Does OneNote have a different name for that feature – if I know that, then I can Google correctly.

1 Like

A friend who knows me very well, and knows how I switch from app to app, claims in a month I will be a diehard Windows user and I will wonder what I ever saw in Apple.

6 Likes

Speaking as a diehard Windows user myself until three months ago, this will not happen. :grinning:

1 Like

It’s supposed to be just double brackets and on one project recently I used the quite effectively to connect info, stakeholders etc. It’s not “serendipitous linking” but you can connect information and switch quickly and easily. I’ve just started a new project and … nothing, nada, zilch, yet! :man_shrugging:

On Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneNote/comments/mddlpc/double_brackets_linking/

1 Like

100% true. Mac window management sucks in comparison to Windows.

My work always required a Windows machine. I’ve been using Windows since forever, so I’m used to the everyday “paper cuts”. It’s just a tool.

For personal use I prefer the Mac for sure. The automation, 3rd party software, overall polish, and stability are still superior on the Mac.

• You might be used to this on the Mac, but pinning frequently used folder on the File Manager sidebar is a big time saver. I pin all my ongoing projects there.

• If you use an external monitor, the windows sometimes are misplaced when you connect/disconnect. You end up not having access to the title bar, so you can’t move the window. Shift+mouse right click on the app icon in the taskbar will open a (ugly) menu with the “move” option (among other things). You can move the window with the arrow keys back to the visible area of the screen.

That’s what I remember from the top of my head.

1 Like

I do that on finder too, just add the relevant symlink to the favourites section.

That’s interesting! Why did you switch? And why do you prefer the Mac?

WinDivvy is like Rectangle and is worth the $14, especially if you use multiple monitors. I used only keyboard hotkeys: Ctrl+Alt+# (#=1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.). Press the same key combo a second time to move the window to the next monitor.

1 Like

You can right click on a note or a section in a note and copy a link to the page or section.

Those are links—but how do I do backlinks?

This article suggests a workaround:

Each page gets a unique title, which you use when linking to it. Searching the title reveals the page itself, and every page that links to it.

Update: I tried the HDMI switch but it proved unreliable, and even when it’s working the output on the Cinema Display was dim. And the audio didn’t work right when connected with the MacBook Pro.

Too many connectors, I suspect.

So: Back to manually plugging and unplugging things. Which I’m actually getting pretty handy at.

Hopefully, I did not mess up the packaging too much for me to return the connectors and switch to Amazon.