I'm a reluctant Windows user now

I think if you look more closely at that statement you will see the problem. Specifically the word “design”. :laughing:

1 Like

This comes with increasingly complexity of the OS. MacOS and iOS are becoming increasingly opaque in their configuration and settings.

See also: Audio Midi setup in Utilities, (not to be) confused with Sound in System Preferences.

I recommend https://www.listary.com/ for searching files and opening projects. It also have some 'ala spotlight like fast web searching. Even with free version it’s great. Also if you have some folder opened in file explorer and then you are asked in program to choose file/folder you can just jump to the folder you have already opened. Also with dropit you can create rules for files and “drop them” to have automatic actions preformed

Neat feature in Outlook for Windows — I don’t know if it’s on the Mac, too — if you start an email to someone who has their autoreply set, you see a preview of that message as you write yours.

I discovered that yesterday when a colleague included me in a message he’d accidentally sent in bulk. I opened a reply to ask why he was sending it to me and saw he’d already sent an auto-response letting people know he’d sent the message in error and folks should just disregard it.

As a long time Windows user, I can’t remember this feature not being there. And when I switched to Mac in 2021, I believe it was there too. It is now anyway.

But being on Windows is definitely a plus for Outlook users. The Mac version is a boiled down version (not to mention that it still struggles (?) to conform with standard Mac behaviours.) It seems Microsofts way of achieving an Apply-type clean UX is to just remove features :rofl:

2 Likes

I had to work with Windows a couple of years ago (as an IT consultant/project manager), and here are some things that really annoyed the h*ll out of me:
• Hardware “quality”. Even the most expensive laptops seemed like trash compared to the MBP. Especially the trackpads. And all those buttons, stickers and stuff!? It just stinks.
• The cost of software. All companies that we helped gladly paid thousand of dollars each year just to have MS Offce, a server, and support from us. I was baffled. So much for the “Mac’s are expensive” – it’s just not true. I really don’t understand a company that rather buy a bunch of HP’s instead of Macs.
• All software looks and behaves differently. There’s no common thought or guideline how to build an application. The only shortcuts that are common is CTRL+C and V… (The same goes with all of Microsofts web sites, they all look different).

Except for that, Windows works. But I get small itchy blotches every time I use it… :face_vomiting:
Nevertheless, it’s good with competition. :slight_smile:

/$0.02

2 Likes

Functionally, I agree. But its UI is a hot mess.

6 Likes

@MacSparky @ismh I would absolutely love an episode on this subject. I think there are enough of us Mac/Apple users who use Windows for work that the topic would be of broad interest.

5 Likes

There is still a lot of software than doesn’t run on macOS. At my last company we migrated the majority of our users from Windows to Mac back in ‘09. But around 40% of our users still needed PCs.

But web based solutions and the cross platform apps that a lot of Mac users hate is making it easier for companies to standardize their hardware.

1 Like

This is a Catch 22. Most business apps run on Windows because most businesses use Windows. If somehow half of a software vendor’s market suddenly announced they were switching to Mac in 6 months I bet they’d figure out how to get a Mac version out the door.

Much of the software I mentioned was only available from a single vendor to use with their hardware. And some users had to run PCs because their job required a program that used an Excel for Windows plug-in.

3 Likes

I’m going to get kicked out of this discourse for saying this, but the new team are heavy users of Microsoft Office and Sharepoint and y’know I kind of like it.

5 Likes

I feel the same way. I was never a big fan of Microsoft products when I used them in isolation, but after working for an employer that’s really deep into the ecosystem, the interoperability and integration between applications has really impressed me. That said, would I immediately jump ship if my employer offered a Mac option? Absolutely. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And you can run office on a Mac. Or in a browser. So no need to choose between office and Mac.

We’re currently upgrading to Teams calling and I’m the lead facilitator (not PM), It’s not too bad, at least for the functions we use.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I use Office 365 at home with my Macs and am happy with it. I do miss a few of the enterprise applications, though.

2 Likes

We use O365 at work as well (M365 now I guess) and honestly one of my favorite parts of it is that on my phone I can have Outlook, Office app, Teams and 99% of all my work needs are in those apps and stay out of rest of phone. (I do sync calendar and contacts to iOS itself so I can see the work cal next to my personal)

1 Like

That’s very much a device limitation. I’ve worked on Dell laptops for the last 4-5 years and I”ve always been able to get a day’s work out of a battery, just. I doubt I’d get 10 hours though

1 Like

Device Management, Skills to manage enterprise estates and Licensing are key considerations, also that Windows is good enough for what people need. There is no significant advantage to buying Macs which offsets the cost to change.

2 Likes

I think you’re both massively underestimating the effort to retool whole departments to provide Mac versions and also underestimating the amount of software which is already available via a browser.

Many companies remain on Windows due to inertia and there being no significant benefit to switching to Mac from a cost perspective.

4 Likes