I'm cheating on Apple

Are you still using it? The referal pricing it getting back to the area where I consider buying one, since I missed the preorder bundles.

It would be great to hear about your experience @simonamaclean

Iā€™ve had my reMarkable 2 for about six months. Although I waited with anticipation for six months before then to receive it, I was disappointed as soon as I set it up out of the box. The display is not as bright as it appears in reMarkableā€™s advertising: in reality it is a dim, dirty grey. (reMarkable support confirmed that what I was seeing is what they expected.)

Usability is limited when the ambient lighting is not bright. The import/export process could be simpler, but it is serviceable. The tablet is well built, is not heavy, and feels sturdy. Handwriting recognition and conversion is poor compared to what many iPad apps can do.

The writing experience is very nice ā€“ it is ā€œpaper-likeā€ and the marker (i.e., the pencil) has a nice feeling.

The best part of using the reMarkable is that it is not an iPad ā€“ which makes the reMarkable good for distraction-free writing. Iā€™m not sure however that that is worth the price of admission. The best way to get a paper-like writing experience is to buy a pad of paper.

6 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. I heard from an old colleague that after the initial excitement the reality of the display and export issues began to frustrate him a bit.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t that expected since it is an e-ink display? Sadly the e-ink technology improvements have slowed down in the last 10 years.

Iā€™ve heard that also PDF annotations are not easily possible. If Iā€™m not mistaken it will convert PDF pages into images? That would be a deal breaker for me, but I sure was interested in the product.

I donā€™t use the ReMarkable for PDFs. (I use MarginNote on iOS/iPadOS and Highlights on macOS.)