International Facetime call

As long as FT has been around, I barely use it and know even less about it. Almost embarrassing.

I have a friend that moved to Canada and I’m in the U.S. I was wondering if I could video call her using FaceTime. However, I will NOT have access to wifi when I call her. Only cellular. Is this a non-starter?

Thanks,

Paul

If your cellular does data (and your phone company does not do something to prevent it) why not? WIfi probably provides better bandwidth but I have done Facetime between Kazakhstan and UK on 4g.

1 Like

I do this all the time. FaceTime and other similar apps generally have much, much better audio quality than a cell call and even with video work just fine over cellular data, assuming you have a good signal. You will have to make sure that your cell phone data plan grants you enough data though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick replies. I’ll have to try it out soon.

Also, FaceTime Audio is likely to sound much, much better than 9l% of international phone calls. Don’t forget that you can also turn on extra isolation from external noises during the phone call too.

1 Like

If you cellular contract has a limit on the usable data for a certain period of time, you may want to have a look onto how much data FT is needed.

2 Likes

I use both FaceTime and WhatsApp to talk to clients all the time, usually audio. I am based in Cyprus but my client base is almost 100% UK. Had no issues at all.