iOS 14 - Favorite features?

Which settings do you use for the Headphone Accommodations ? Does this act as an equalizer ?

I don’t know, but I’ve turned it on and noticed better noise cancellation :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I like the back tapping feature on Accessibility. I have two taps to turn on the flashlight and three taps to take a picture with Halide Camera. Having shortcuts and Siri suggestion as widget home screen really made everything better with this release.

I was looking forward to Translate but it doesn’t have integration with Safari. You still need to copy/paste it to the Translate app and it won’t even translate multiple paragraphs. I hope they’d still improve this one since it has the most potential to be useful as I don’t need to use Chrome to open non-English websites.

1 Like

Click Custom Audio Setup and it will walk you through it.

You can use Translate with Safari. It is activated from the same place as Reader View.

3 Likes

Search now displays results as you type.

It will also include any shortcuts on your Home Screen in search results.

This lets you basically emulate the launching (but not the search) functions of Alfred on the iPad, by creating shortcuts with abbreviations that correspond to your Alfred keywords.

And it learns from your usage, like Alfred.

4 Likes

Wow that is a great find !
I have to start thinking of my prefixing system and how I can mirror my Mac (km , Alfred) and I(pad)OS setups !

Yeah - if only they’d let you pass a query string from the search field…

Actually — if you set up a Shortcut with an existing Drafts action like so, it’s nearly as smooth b/c (unlike using a prompt action) it focuses on the input field immediately after you select the Shortcut.

thanks for the heads up. I checked again with the previous Safari and it doesn’t show up when I clicked the Reader button. The translate function is missing. Changed to English to Spanish too, to see if it only works for English to Spanish but it still doesn’t show up.

Time to hit up the feedback button.

I just tried but it does not seem that I am presented with shortcuts search results . Did I miss a settings page somewhere ?

I seemed to be able to see the Aftershokz headset battery in the battery widget. Is that new to iOS 14 or if it’s already available since iOS 13?

The shortcuts need to be added to your home
screen to appear in search results.

Search for me is also including shortcuts that are not on my home screen, too.

1 Like

Do the new audio switching features work? If so, how do you trigger them? I’ve been rather curious to try that out.

These betas have been quite seamless for me thus far. I like the app library a lot and the widgets are nice, too.

Makes me feel like some sort of nitwit for all the time, money and effort I put into learning Spanish! LOL!

This was really helpful today, as I forgot to put my AirPods on the Qi charger.

2 Likes

I took a look to make sure it was not some setting I turned on, but can’t find anything that would make sense. The only thing I did is make sure both languages were downloaded to my device.

After some more time with the betas, I have come away with these observations.

1. I REALY like App Library a lot. I’ve turned off all my home screen pages, except the first, and access everything (that’s not on my main screen) from App Library. I do agree that the categories are arbitrary, but to be candid, I’m glad it’s one less things I feel that I have to customize perfectly. With everything so easily visible from App Library, the categories are less critical. I can glance and find pretty much everything I need.

2. It is so very nice to have Scribble on iPadOS. It is just the thing I have needed for so long. Very happy with that addition.

3. Everything about shortcuts seems so much better than before, and I liked what we had already. The ability to have folders was a huge leap forward in terms of managing, finding, and accessing shortcuts. Simple thing I know, having folders. But it wasn’t there, now it is, and it’s great.

4. Stability is excellent. Other than the fact that I know iOS/iPadOS 14 have not been released yet, there are no other clues that would make me think I’m working on a beta.

1 Like

I’m just happy that Apple finally borrowed some of the better Android features. I had an ‘app library’ in Android a decade ago with list view, and I also had widgets. Also taken straight from Android: a stock translate app (albeit with fewer languages than Google currently has), emoji search (iOS finds ‘prayer hands’ but not the equally popular ‘high five’ definition for the same emoji), and the ability to set default email and browser apps.

I’ve got my fingers crossed that Scribble makes it at least to the 6.7" iPhone model rumored to be coming at the end of the year.

1 Like
  • Ditto on App Library and scribble.
  • Shortcut seems pretty unstable to me but most of my shortcuts rely on Datajar, Toolbox pro and I don’t believe they have already verbatim updated to support IOS14 correctly , or am I wrong ?
  • Another item which may or may not be related to the my install base is that the new search is slow to bring up results, as in 2s latency, which is annoying as I use it as launcher for most stuff.
  • Finally side note note on IPadOS, but I cannot come to terms with a potential reason why App Library does not exister there, it feels very frustrating to have to sort my apps there while it is a chore of the past in IOS.
1 Like