iOS 15 - What were they thinking?

As a left-handed, I respectfully disagree :grin:

2 Likes

I don’t even know how to do that with iPhone starting with the X since it’s a double tap on the home button. I use that a lot when I had my iPhone 7 Plus, but I was glad to be back with a smaller phone.

The address bar at the bottom was one of the things I missed most when I left Android…. Just seems more intuitive on a phone for the same reason I put my most used apps toward the bottom of the Home Screen. At least you have option to move back.

The gestures are my favorite part. Swiping back and forth and swiping up to see all open works well for how I use Safari.

Swipe down on the home indicator (that little bar at the bottom of the screen that you swipe up on to go to the Home Screen).

2 Likes

Yep. And it’s a ridiculous maneuver IMO.

I wonder what they are saving the swipe up from the bottom for. Would be nice have that option, or have the swipe up launch the App Library.

1 Like

Swipe up goes to the Home Screen if you don’t have a home button.

Do you mean the + sign for the new tab?

If so, good news! We can use our left thumb to swipe left on the tab bar to open a new tab without tapping on that pesky +

Took-me a while to figure this out, but now that’s the way I always open new tabs.

And it will not go home if you swipe the address bar up.

Gestures on the URL bar FTW!

1 Like

Good to know. I was talking about the home indicator bar, but see know that Chris already mentioned that.

Yes. I meant from the Home Screen.

1 Like

Ah. In that case, the task switcher :slightly_smiling_face:

I think this only works on bigger iPhone sizes. Thanks, will keep this in mind in case I change my mind and take a bigger-sized iPhone.

Great tip with the swipe address bar to the right to open a new tab.

I am curious about how do you include the video in your Discourse post? What tools do you use to convert the iOS screen recording into GIF?

@Topre I believe they used the build in “Screen Recording” feature in iOS.

Here are Apples instructions

Create a screen recording

You can create a screen recording and capture sound on your iPhone.

1. Go to Settings > Control Center, then tap the Insert Screen Recording button next to Screen Recording.
  2. Open Control Center, tap the Screen Recording button, then wait for the three-second countdown.
  3. To stop recording, open Control Center, tap the Selected Screen Recording button or the red status bar at the top of the screen, then tap Stop.

Go to Photos , then select your screen recording.

Source - Take a screenshot or screen recording on iPhone - Apple Support

Thank you Steve for the detailed instructions. After this recording is completed, the file that was saved in the iPhone is a .MOV. We can’t upload .MOV into the forum and have to convert it into picture. Some folks told me to convert it to .GIF but mostly ended up being a lower quality. I wonder what did @ldebritto use.

Hey, @Topre , you’re correct.

I’m using an app (here’s the ad-free version) to convert the video to a gif and then embed it to the forum.

There’s always a decrease in quality, but it’s ok for this kind of use I guess.

2 Likes

The quality is better than the one I have, so thank you for your recommendation.

1 Like

Okay, another WWTT:

If you want widgets on your iPad, icons must also only be 4 columns wide. I realize it’s only 2021, but surely widgets could be in four columns, and app icons in five.

Not to mention after installing, my Home Screen was hosed and many items moved to a second page.

And of course we still can’t put icons where we want them. iOS is in permanent “auto arrange” mode that drove us nuts in Windows XP 20 years ago.

2 Likes