iPad as Laptop Replacement

Wow! Using Shortcuts for your lesson plans! I’m impressed!

Several years ago, the state of Illinois totally overhauled the elementary curriculum and fundamentally bullied their way into every classroom. I took one look at the mess they came up with (expletives deleted) and thought it would be next to impossible to manage during the school year.

So I spent much of my summer off writing a database with pull-down menus, radio buttons etc. and other fancy stuff. (I loved FileMaker Pro.) I was sure glad I did! I referred to my lesson plans as my “creative writing” anyway.

I wish I could find an app like that for the iPad .

Where in Spain are you teaching? I supervised Spaniards teaching English one year.

“Lesson plans” were very…loosely planned. More like lists of conversation topics, games to play, that kind of thing. So not the kind of fully-fledged lesson planning a real teacher might do, for sure. But because of that a lot of the activities I did could be reused with other classes, so I had a series of shortcuts and Evernote items that helped me keep track of what activities I’d done with which groups, and helped me plan for the week ahead. It worked reasonably well.

I’m back in Australia now (have been for a year or two) but I was in La Rioja, in a tiny little town called Santo Domingo de la Calzada. It was fabulous and we really miss it - but we did fortunately avoid the pandemic and have just had a baby boy back here at home, so it has all worked out well. Hopefully we can take him back someday - we love it there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations, Kaitlin! Just wonderful!

Oh sounds like you had the essence of those plans. The rest of it is busywork especially if you’ve taught for a couple of years. Professional “educators” keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

I had a number of majors in college. Education was so uninspired, dull. It’s all been done before.

Maybe you’ll get to go back there to España some day!