iPad Pro: love it? Just ok? Please share!

I love my 12.9 Pro (2nd Gen). The screen size is the big deal for me. I use it for working with construction drawings, which are historically arranged as very large sheets. Marking up drawings is easy on that big screen using Bluebeam. Presumably the ability to operate on some of these large sets of drawings is also helped by having the best processor, but I don’t have anything to compare to. I also use the side-by-side view a lot, which I understand isn’t nearly as good on a smaller device.

1 Like

I picked up a 12.9” with 512GB, the pencil and the smart folio keyboard. I have been very happy with it. I am using it as a replacement for my late 2011 MacBook Pro. The MacBook isn’t dead just yet, but, I am preparing for the eventuality. I picked it for the portability factor. I recently started a job where there is some potential for overseas travel. I didn’t want to try to go to Europe with two laptops and the weight of my work issued PC was enough to contend with. I am glad that you are happy with your choice.

1 Like

Despite the mouse/trackpad limitations, I’m about to dump my MBP and live with only an iPad Pro and my iPhone. I think I can do this only because I’m now a “retired” geek instead of a “working” geek.

It might be a little difficult until iPadOS releases, but every iPad Pro user with whom I’ve spoken says it’s actually a great replacement for macOS as long as my needs are minimal.

1 Like

Trying to make it my mobile device. There are still some hiccups when having to deal with the Windows world. Hopefully IPad OS will have more robust Microsoft apps.

Remember that mouse support in iPadOS 13 is a game changer :slight_smile:

My first iPad (2), fell into disuse when the OS became too much for it. An iPad Pro 9.7" changed that, and I quickly followed with the Pro 10.9". I love it. I use the Smart Keyboard, and a soft plastic back cover with a slot for the Apple Pencil, original version. I like it so much that I sold my MacPro Retina 15" and replaced it with an iMac upstairs in the office (mainly for writing and photo work). But the iPad Pro had long replaced it downstairs in the den, and moving with me anywhere I needed to be. I’m not yet on the public beta for iPadOS 13, but it looks like it will address most of the remaining areas that created some friction at times. Eventually, I will probably trade for the iPad Pro 11" or 12.9", but for right now, I am getting along just fine with the 10.9".

1 Like

I have a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9. I’ve also got a new 27" iMac, two iPhones and a Air. I gave the Air to my son because I’ve switched 100% to my iPad while away from my iMac.

I purchased a Brydge keyboard that rocks!!

I also have MS 365 which gives me all the Office family of products and 1 TB of storage on One Drive.

You won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

-12.9” Second Gen. This is my second one and I love it! I believe iOS 13 will bring many of the features I would like. Mainly a full browser and to do tasks which are possible on a laptop.

-Smart Keyboard has been replaced 5 times, but I think the new iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard connector fixed this issue. So…don’t buy a 1st or 2nd gen! Also, I like the size of the smaller (standard) iPad for lounging around. The 12.9” is a bit unwieldy for relaxed use.

-Use the Smart Keyboard and view sheet music on the larger screen. With the first gen, the Apple Pencil was only available on the Pro, but now you can use it on the standard iPad.

1 Like

Which mount do you have? I have a spare monitor arm ( VESA 75mm and 10mm compatible ) that I’d like to connect my iPad Pro to. But I cannot find a mount that will let me do this.

I have to say when Apple first introduced iPad I thought it was a joke…simply a huge iPod Touch!

Fast forward to today and we are now on six iPads in our home…including both a 2018 and 2020 i12.9” iPad Pro (pretty similar to the user except for the Lidar scanner).

There is not a week that goes by that I don’t find new ways to use my iPad Pro. With the keyboard and Apple Pencil, this thing has become an invaluable tool among my Apple devices.

I still love my MacBook Pro and have no thoughts of replacing that with my iPad, however I appreciate the number of tasks that I can get done very quickly without having to open my Mac. I also love the synergy Apple built in to supplement my MacBook’s display using Sidecar.

It’s amazing to me that a device that at one time I thought was a joke has become probably my most used Apple device on a daily basis - even surpassing my iPhone!

I love them all, but at this point it would be really painful to go back to life without my iPad Pro!

2 Likes

I love my iPad Pro and use it at home all the time. I have the 12.9” and my wife the 11”.

However, since the change to using video conferences a lot at work, I’ve found that I need to take my MacBook with me everyday and find the 12.9” too heavy to bring as well. Before I was using the iPad at work and leaving my MacBook at home. The iPad just doesn’t multitask well enough when sharing content on a platform like Zoom.

I’ve also got an iPad Mini 5th Gen which is light enough to take to work so I’ve been using that much more. The main advantage of the 12.9” for me is the Magic Keyboard, which I love typing on.

3 Likes

Coming back at this months later, I still prefer the iPad. I still struggle a bit with some of the development tools I need, specifically a web browser that has good inspection tools but otherwise my iPad is my go to tool.

1 Like